While shut down or restart getting message that "someone is still using" my pc

Anonymous
2017-10-29T06:54:41+00:00

I am getting this problem after the fall creators update .It's happening sometimes when I click shut down or restart a message pops up, it says someone else is using my pc, I do have another user in my pc but that user is not in use when I am getting that massage. I also clean installed my OS but the problem is still there. The Microsoft support staff also failed to sort out the problem. I am adding a photo of the message.

Its very unfortunate that after so many cumulative updates and even one major update version 1803 MS still did not fixed this issue, as if they are unaware of this.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-05T22:33:15+00:00

I used this and it fixed the issue:

Open the Settings app and go to Accounts > Sign-in Options. Scroll to the bottom until you reach the Privacy section and UNSELECT the option to "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." Do this for EVERY account on your PC.

Hopefully it helps you as well. 


Moderator's note: Information updated for this reply to help users facing this issue.


Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T16:24:04+00:00

    I have been having this problem on both my laptop and desktop since the fall update. Wiped my desktop and re-installed using a clean install of windows 10 fall update - still doing the same, really do not want to have to re-install everything on both machines as this takes a week to get both machines setup right and that's only if i haven't got other things to do in the evenings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T00:40:05+00:00

    Hi all

    I also face this problem but after one thing,

    i play a game that requires a local account ,so i created one and also the other users at the same pc, before i install this game no problems found, only after the local account we create.

    The game is Batman arkham city.

    I will try to uninstall the game and see if the problem solved or not but i think it is because of the local account, nothing else

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-04T00:55:57+00:00

    Hi Sherief,

    The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the prompt message that you receive when shutting down or restarting your device may be caused by some configuration on the system. To sort out your concern, we’d like to know how many accounts are signed in to your PC prior to receiving the prompt message. If you’re using multiple accounts and if they are all logged in to your device, the prompt message is just a notification to inform you the possible changes that may happen to the data on your other accounts.

    We'll be waiting for your update regarding the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-19T22:39:52+00:00

    That worked perfectly for me.  Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments