While shut down or restart getting message that "someone is still using" my pc

Anonymous
2017-10-29T06:54:41+00:00

I am getting this problem after the fall creators update .It's happening sometimes when I click shut down or restart a message pops up, it says someone else is using my pc, I do have another user in my pc but that user is not in use when I am getting that massage. I also clean installed my OS but the problem is still there. The Microsoft support staff also failed to sort out the problem. I am adding a photo of the message.

Its very unfortunate that after so many cumulative updates and even one major update version 1803 MS still did not fixed this issue, as if they are unaware of this.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-05T22:33:15+00:00

I used this and it fixed the issue:

Open the Settings app and go to Accounts > Sign-in Options. Scroll to the bottom until you reach the Privacy section and UNSELECT the option to "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." Do this for EVERY account on your PC.

Hopefully it helps you as well. 


Moderator's note: Information updated for this reply to help users facing this issue.


Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-05T22:20:23+00:00

    I too am seeing this and to recreate (at least in my case) need two local accounts. My wife and I both use this computer with our own profile. When she uses computer and does a shutdown and I come behind her and use my account, when I do a shutdown I see the message. When looking under users in task manager I see her account as disconnected. Same is true when I use the computer and shutdown, then she logs in and does a shutdown, message pops up and my account is listed as disconnected in users in task manager. By the way, this is happening on two different windows 10 computers that use local accounts. Should be easy to duplicate. Create two local accounts, logon one, do whatever, shutdown. Logon second account, do whatever, shutdown, should see the message? Both computers did NOT do this until after the creators update. That's not a consensus, but bet I could do the same thing on my wife's windows 10 laptop. May not be limited to local accounts, but I don't use an MS login to access my personal computer(s), so can't say.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-05T23:02:38+00:00

    Thanks! An answer finally. Why couldn't MS support come up with this immediately?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-05T23:46:43+00:00

    I am no longer seeing message after turning that option off for all accounts. Like that better than resetting the OS.

    Thanks, that was helpful!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-06T18:52:16+00:00

    Thankyou Junker2017, works for me too.

    "Why couldn't M$ come up with this?" - presumably because whoever responds to these forums, aren't the people who write the software and who would know the answers. And the people who do respond to the forums, don't know the answers.

    Why Microsoft do it that way, that's another question. Perhaps suggest that when someone responding to a forum question doesn't know the answer, that they ask someone who does (or might). Is that so difficult to organise?

    Anyway thanks again for finding this, appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments