While shut down or restart getting message that "someone is still using" my pc

Anonymous
2017-10-29T06:54:41+00:00

I am getting this problem after the fall creators update .It's happening sometimes when I click shut down or restart a message pops up, it says someone else is using my pc, I do have another user in my pc but that user is not in use when I am getting that massage. I also clean installed my OS but the problem is still there. The Microsoft support staff also failed to sort out the problem. I am adding a photo of the message.

Its very unfortunate that after so many cumulative updates and even one major update version 1803 MS still did not fixed this issue, as if they are unaware of this.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-05T22:33:15+00:00

I used this and it fixed the issue:

Open the Settings app and go to Accounts > Sign-in Options. Scroll to the bottom until you reach the Privacy section and UNSELECT the option to "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." Do this for EVERY account on your PC.

Hopefully it helps you as well. 


Moderator's note: Information updated for this reply to help users facing this issue.


Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-03T22:42:39+00:00

    I also am getting this message after updating to the Fall Creators Update. Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.19, 64 bit on an Asus laptop.

    I have four local accounts: the original admin account that I created as part of the build, (Florence) plus three other local user accounts for the three of us (Terry, Lucy, Maisie) (names changed). None of us ever use account switching, and the machine is only ever used by one account at a time.

    Suppose Lucy signs in, then shuts the machine down. Just shutdown, not a restart. Then I power the machine up, and I am presented with Lucy's sign in screen and current spotlight picture. I tab to user Terry, that's me, press Return, get my current spotlight picture, and sign in. Later, I press Start, power, shutdown, and get the message "someone else is still... etc."

    If I back off from that, Task Manager/Users shows me that Terry is signed in, with (38) after my name (whatever that means, running processes?), using about 1% cpu and about 600Mb memory, and it also shows me that Lucy is there too but with no number in brackets after her name, a Status of Disconnected, 0% cpu and 44.5Mb memory. But I know for certain that Lucy has not been using the machine since I last switched it on. She did use it the time before though, which is why her signon screen was initially presented this time round.

    If I then use Task Manager/Users and press Delete on Lucy, her account gets signed out (I suppose) and then the shutdown "someone else..." message doesn't occur.

    This message doesn't always occur but sometimes I sign in and out again more than once in succession. And sometimes I remember to choose restart instead of shutdown, and then remove the power at the appropriate point (the laptop battery has been removed) to switch the thing off, because I read somewhere a while ago that doing that gives Windows a more complete restart, next time round.

    It's no big deal for us, now that I've told Lucy and Maisie to ignore the warning and shut down anyway, hoping that you nice folk at Microsoft will soon fix whatever it is and an update will eventually sort it out. But since you did say to Mon.k11 that you'd like to get it fixed, that would be nice. If you need any more information and ask, I can try a bit more with the limited resource that I have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-04T15:32:16+00:00

    To add to my previous post: still on Windows 10 Pro, version 1709, build 16299.19.

    I created two new local accounts, TestAdmin and TestUser, made the first a member of the Administrators group only, and the second a member of the Users group only. The previous local accounts I was using existed before the upgrade to the Fall Creators update (and survived it :) . These two new accounts were created after the update and were only used for these tests, so they had little or no chance to become corrupted.

    I then did a number of tests. This showed that it makes no difference whether the accounts are new, or existed previous to the Fall update. It makes no difference whether the local accounts are local admins or just ordinary users. And it makes no difference whether you do a shutdown, or a restart. The results were always the same. There was no account switching whilst signed in. Each time the machine was switched on, exactly one local account signed in, looked around, and then did a shutdown and switch off.

    In every case, if account A does a shut down, and then the machine is switched back on again, account A's signon screen is presented - as expected. If account B then signs in, where B is not A, Task Manager/Users shows account B signed in as expected, but also account A is there too, but disconnected. That has to be wrong, surely? Account A uses quite a bit of cpu (80% - 90%) for about half a minute, too, so it's doing something (?) but then that tails off to nothing. But A just sits there, disconnected.

    If account B is a local admin, and in Task Manager/Users, B does a rightclick on the disconnected account A and signs it out, then the "someone else ..." message doesn't occur at shutdown. Of course, ordinary users can't do that.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-04T23:06:51+00:00

    I have the same problem after creator update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-05T04:16:05+00:00

    I have the same problem after creator update.

    And Microsoft does not have any clue about this problem as their support executives failed to solve this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments