While shut down or restart getting message that "someone is still using" my pc

Anonymous
2017-10-29T06:54:41+00:00

I am getting this problem after the fall creators update .It's happening sometimes when I click shut down or restart a message pops up, it says someone else is using my pc, I do have another user in my pc but that user is not in use when I am getting that massage. I also clean installed my OS but the problem is still there. The Microsoft support staff also failed to sort out the problem. I am adding a photo of the message.

Its very unfortunate that after so many cumulative updates and even one major update version 1803 MS still did not fixed this issue, as if they are unaware of this.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-05T22:33:15+00:00

I used this and it fixed the issue:

Open the Settings app and go to Accounts > Sign-in Options. Scroll to the bottom until you reach the Privacy section and UNSELECT the option to "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." Do this for EVERY account on your PC.

Hopefully it helps you as well. 


Moderator's note: Information updated for this reply to help users facing this issue.


Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-05T22:20:23+00:00

    I too am seeing this and to recreate (at least in my case) need two local accounts. My wife and I both use this computer with our own profile. When she uses computer and does a shutdown and I come behind her and use my account, when I do a shutdown I see the message. When looking under users in task manager I see her account as disconnected. Same is true when I use the computer and shutdown, then she logs in and does a shutdown, message pops up and my account is listed as disconnected in users in task manager. By the way, this is happening on two different windows 10 computers that use local accounts. Should be easy to duplicate. Create two local accounts, logon one, do whatever, shutdown. Logon second account, do whatever, shutdown, should see the message? Both computers did NOT do this until after the creators update. That's not a consensus, but bet I could do the same thing on my wife's windows 10 laptop. May not be limited to local accounts, but I don't use an MS login to access my personal computer(s), so can't say.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-12T11:39:03+00:00

    Hi All,

    Getting exactly the same issue after the latest update.

    I have my account (admin) , there is my wifes account (MS account) and an account my sons use (local) 

    On shutdown you get the "Another person is logged in blah blah".

    When you boot the computer from off i.e. not sleep or hibernate and login once it looks like whomever was last using the computer is still logged in. 

    So windows button, select myself (avatar), the pop up shows the other accounts. In this instance right now, it shows my wife as logged in n.b. she hasn't as the computer was turned on from  off. Open task manager and select users tab - same account (wife) appears / listed but status is disconnected.

    You can switch users and log them off and they will disappear from the other accounts task manager and the computer will shutdown without warning. 

    n.b. rolling back is overkill and will not solve the issue as we will have to update at some point.

    Please try to replicate in the lab and find a proper fix.

    If you need details from me please mail me and I will endeavour to provide you what you need.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-07T16:54:51+00:00

    Thankyou PreciousLeb for your reply.

    I'm not disappointed. (Whatever made you think I was? Anyway.)

    I was simply reporting that, like Mon.k11, I was seeing something that looked incorrect to me, with some details of the circumstances, in case anyone in Microsoft wished to investigate it further.

    I did say that it was no big deal for us, and it isn't. If you think the problem is local to our situation, not widespread, and not worth following up, that's ok, that's your choice. The Fall Creators Update is otherwise working well for us so far as I can tell, I am relieved to say.

    Thankyou for your suggestion about rolling back to the previous version, but really that would be a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I haven't got the time to spend messing about like that, and as this machine is the only one we have, the less risk we take with it, the better. We always know which of us is signed in and who isn't, and if we simply have to click "Shut down anyway" when necessary, we'll just do that.

    Best wishes,  Terry

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-07T12:20:45+00:00

    Hi,

    Your disappointment is understandable. It could be a software compatibility issue with the latest version of Windows 10 that you installed on your computer. We suggest that you roll back to your previous version where everything works fine and see if the issue persists. Here are the steps:

    1. Click the Start Menu.
    2. Go to Settings.
    3. Select Update and security and then, Recovery settings.
    4. Click on the Get started button under Go back to an earlier build section.
    5. This is where the process begins. You will be asked a few questions as to why you want to roll back to the previous build of Windows 10.
    6. Select your reason to roll back, then click Next. You also have a chance to Cancel now if you don't wish to go back to the previous build.
    7. When you go back, you will lose the settings changes or the applications you may have installed after you upgraded to the current build.
    8. Windows 10 will offer to check for updates.
    9. Click Next, and you will see a message thanking you for trying out this build.
    10. Select Go back to earlier build button and the upgrade process will start.
    11. Once it is done, you may want to defer installing Windows Updates on your Windows 10.

    NOTE: Make sure to backup your files and data. You may also take down your login credentials as you will be required to put them after this process.

    Let us know how it goes and feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments