While shut down or restart getting message that "someone is still using" my pc

Anonymous
2017-10-29T06:54:41+00:00

I am getting this problem after the fall creators update .It's happening sometimes when I click shut down or restart a message pops up, it says someone else is using my pc, I do have another user in my pc but that user is not in use when I am getting that massage. I also clean installed my OS but the problem is still there. The Microsoft support staff also failed to sort out the problem. I am adding a photo of the message.

Its very unfortunate that after so many cumulative updates and even one major update version 1803 MS still did not fixed this issue, as if they are unaware of this.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-05T22:33:15+00:00

I used this and it fixed the issue:

Open the Settings app and go to Accounts > Sign-in Options. Scroll to the bottom until you reach the Privacy section and UNSELECT the option to "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." Do this for EVERY account on your PC.

Hopefully it helps you as well. 


Moderator's note: Information updated for this reply to help users facing this issue.


Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-22T14:25:33+00:00

    Hi thanks for replying. Yes I am using Microsoft account to login my pc, and I am not getting any message like someone get into my account but still as a precaution I changed my password, but the problem is still there, and I can login to my Microsoft account

    from another pc.

    Could it be that you are also using a gaming device (Xbos, Playstation  etc) with the same log in password. That is a possibility . Am I right ?

    No, no gaming device.  This a work computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-22T14:04:11+00:00

    Hi thanks for replying. Yes I am using Microsoft account to login my pc, and I am not getting any message like someone get into my account but still as a precaution I changed my password, but the problem is still there, and I can login to my Microsoft account

    from another pc.

    Could it be that you are also using a gaming device (Xbos, Playstation  etc) with the same log in password. That is a possibility . Am I right ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-13T17:46:45+00:00

    I used this and it fixed the issue:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_10-security/users-not-signed-out-on-shutdown-or-restart-fall/b23903e4-bbef-4e99-b38b-ea6d7c742a9e

    Hopefully it helps you as well. 

    After all the mucking around with previous 'fixes' this is the simplest and the only one that worked well done and thank you junker2017.

    Why arent Microsoft as helpful and clever as this answer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-02T18:25:28+00:00

    Franklin4j, thankyou very much for your kind remarks! Your insights strike a chord. (This is a bit off topic, but) I've been a Windows user ever since Windows 3, many moons ago, and I still think Microsoft Windows is an excellent product. Recently however, prompted amongst other things by the attitude that this kind of poor M$ response gives a glimpse of, I've been looking at an alternative to try on our pc (better not name it here). Early days, but so far it looks good.

    Terry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments