While shut down or restart getting message that "someone is still using" my pc

Anonymous
2017-10-29T06:54:41+00:00

I am getting this problem after the fall creators update .It's happening sometimes when I click shut down or restart a message pops up, it says someone else is using my pc, I do have another user in my pc but that user is not in use when I am getting that massage. I also clean installed my OS but the problem is still there. The Microsoft support staff also failed to sort out the problem. I am adding a photo of the message.

Its very unfortunate that after so many cumulative updates and even one major update version 1803 MS still did not fixed this issue, as if they are unaware of this.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-05T22:33:15+00:00

I used this and it fixed the issue:

Open the Settings app and go to Accounts > Sign-in Options. Scroll to the bottom until you reach the Privacy section and UNSELECT the option to "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." Do this for EVERY account on your PC.

Hopefully it helps you as well. 


Moderator's note: Information updated for this reply to help users facing this issue.


Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-15T20:40:53+00:00

    Thanks for the explanation. I'm a long time user; but not really a computer techie. I understand the basics of what you say; but I'm not confident about tweaking the BIOS, etc. Interpreting the Task Scheduler is a challenge for me.

    The problem seems to be evolving toward a solution with the successive monthly MS critical updates. Now my computer either shuts down properly or stays on in a deep sleep mode. It no longer restarts. That's progress. I'll live with it. I've other things to do with my life.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-14T09:27:21+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-13T20:32:53+00:00

    And that was the reason for my original post.  

    Chasing this issue because Windows said another user was logged on while I shut down.  I know no one else locally was logged on so who was it?  A hacker? This has generated way too much time for everyone here, others who have posted similar issues, and for likely cointless more who haven’t posted.

    When a person  logs off or shuts down the computer, the computer needs to eespect their choice and log them off or in the event shut down is chosen,  log them off and power down the computer.  Its very simple, logical and intuitive.  

    The actual thing Microsoft has Windows doing actually introduces confusion and creates the appearance a potential hacker being logged on.  Hoe many of us would have questioned this behavior if it made sense.

    Why is it so hard for Microsoft to understand this?  Oh, right, Bill Gates retired.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-13T17:27:55+00:00

    Nearly all options examined, we may have come around full-circle with this issue. The issue of restart after shutdown, or unable to remain in S3 sleep mode, may inherently lie in the individual computer's BIOS handling of the S3 sleep mode. S3 sleep mode energy expenditures can be somewhat adjusted through the Power Options in system, such has USB charging capabilities on-off, and a few other minor adjustments. Requirements such as keeping charging capability for USB, etc. might be examined, and also power-down of NIC adaptors, another adjustment built into the NIC adaptor driver structure, not necessarily in Power Options. I have found that nearly ALL NIC manufactures allow for power-off states in S3, but allow for default power for "Wake On-Lan" settings, which seems to be the default setting! I always uncheck these power boxes for WOL. After this, one could examine the Task Scheduler for any remaining tasks that may be restarting the machine after it enters the S3 sleep mode. What was the Event just before the machine restarted, or what woke the machine at 3am in the morning, bathing your room with blue-white light? A neutrino surge that interacted with some processor gates? As stated in the beginning, a tough-nut to crack may just be the computers firmware handling of the BIOS S3 sleep mode, which most S3 BIOS settings have not evolved beyond the standard "Auto" setting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments