While shut down or restart getting message that "someone is still using" my pc

Anonymous
2017-10-29T06:54:41+00:00

I am getting this problem after the fall creators update .It's happening sometimes when I click shut down or restart a message pops up, it says someone else is using my pc, I do have another user in my pc but that user is not in use when I am getting that massage. I also clean installed my OS but the problem is still there. The Microsoft support staff also failed to sort out the problem. I am adding a photo of the message.

Its very unfortunate that after so many cumulative updates and even one major update version 1803 MS still did not fixed this issue, as if they are unaware of this.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-05T22:33:15+00:00

I used this and it fixed the issue:

Open the Settings app and go to Accounts > Sign-in Options. Scroll to the bottom until you reach the Privacy section and UNSELECT the option to "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." Do this for EVERY account on your PC.

Hopefully it helps you as well. 


Moderator's note: Information updated for this reply to help users facing this issue.


Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-02T18:25:28+00:00

    Franklin4j, thankyou very much for your kind remarks! Your insights strike a chord. (This is a bit off topic, but) I've been a Windows user ever since Windows 3, many moons ago, and I still think Microsoft Windows is an excellent product. Recently however, prompted amongst other things by the attitude that this kind of poor M$ response gives a glimpse of, I've been looking at an alternative to try on our pc (better not name it here). Early days, but so far it looks good.

    Terry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-02T14:08:38+00:00

    t5181825 (Terry),

    First of all, great additions to this thread.  You clearly have some testing genes.  I've been wrestling with Windows 10 for quite some time and when troubleshooting issues, use this and other forums and few seem to include the thought you put into this one.  Its not to say the others are bad, just more of a plea for help without the same testing strategy you deployed.

    Second, most replies and recommendation are to revert to an earlier version or reinstall windows.  As a home based user and not a corporate one, the management pattern for updates is largely controlled by Microsoft.  Its automatic based on their push and less controlled by my pull.  That being said, their recommendation to revert or reinstall is disingenuous, and yes, it does fells like we are testing for them.  But that has become the norm for most software development organizations - even in corporate setting unfortunately.

    The problem we are facing and is not being discussed is that Windows 10 had grown too large and complex.  Its supporting desktops, tables and phones all at once and isn't separating the differences.   I had problems with a Dell laptop and the Intel graphics drivers on Windows 10.  Finally resolved it by disabling the touch screen that I suspected caused the problem.  No definitive cause but the problems started with updates supporting Surface tablet/PC gesture changes.  Older, non-MS stuff didn't work with the change and MS had their targets set.

    Unfortunately, and likely to upset the MS staff, this is the challenge we face as customers going forward.  Not every customer is identical.  Some use local accounts, other MS accounts.  We vary in usage patterns, devices and expectations.  The prudent approach is to identify user patterns and create system configuration markers within the OS to provide a run-time controlled user experience.  But that is OS infrastructure and not feature/function that excites Product Mangers or executives. Its invasive to the OS, expensive and a testing nightmare.  It also should have been a  strategy for the product's foundation when the decision was made to support not only the traditional PC, but phones and then tables.

    Thanks again Terry for your posts and the effort you've provided before making them.  It certainly helped my efforts on the same problem.  I sure hope MS, at some level, starts to realize that their customer base depends on them to be more crisp in the future and that the features/functions some have requested or envisioned may not be as important as consistency of use for the masses.  Clearly the tail is wagging the dog here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-19T22:39:52+00:00

    That worked perfectly for me.  Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T00:40:05+00:00

    Hi all

    I also face this problem but after one thing,

    i play a game that requires a local account ,so i created one and also the other users at the same pc, before i install this game no problems found, only after the local account we create.

    The game is Batman arkham city.

    I will try to uninstall the game and see if the problem solved or not but i think it is because of the local account, nothing else

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments