Following step one in this article seemed to fix the issue for me.
High CPU usage in state repository service after clean install of Fall Creators Update while online via ethernet
Why do apps including Microsoft Edge and Settings freeze when clicking on hyperlinks and make CPU usage reach 100% on state repository service after a totally clean install including deleting all partitions of the Fall Creators Update while online via Ethernet. The only fix is to reinstall the ISO media with the Ethernet cable unplugged and wait until the OOBE setup asks for the region before reconnecting the Ethernet cable. I have to physically unplug the Ethernet cable from the router to prevent it from accessing the internet during the first just a moment phase of the OOBE setup before the region setup.
Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate)
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2017-10-27T20:51:10+00:00 I am watching this with horror. A new computer (mine) and this issue.
My money is on the M.2 drive. I Have similar make and model (just not as much storage space).
I have heard that you should always update the Motherboard drivers when using M.2, so I will try that.
-
Anonymous
2017-10-27T21:25:04+00:00 I'm having the same issues with a surface pro 4. So guess it is not hardware related. Exact same issues especially with bing.com somehow.
I ended up installing a previous version and upgrading that to fall creators update. That works fine.
-
Anonymous
2017-10-27T21:41:20+00:00 The issue appears to rooted in how the new apps (not to be confused with win32 apps) handle URLs. When they lookup or access a URL, that state repo service goes nuts.
Interestingly, the issue has disappeared on my main work station and I did zilch to fix it. Just magically disappeared. I looked for updates that may have fixed it but it was happening after the last update ran so I have no idea. Bad data that perhaps cleared over time?
-
Anonymous
2017-10-28T06:27:30+00:00 I have the same issue. It appears to only occur when performing clean installs of the 1709 Fall Creators Update.
While waiting for a fix, a workaround is to open the hamburger menu (looks like ... in the top right corner of Microsoft edge), go to settings, advanced settings, and turn off the "open sites in apps" option. This allows you to use Microsoft until a bug fix is released.