Following step one in this article seemed to fix the issue for me.
High CPU usage in state repository service after clean install of Fall Creators Update while online via ethernet
Why do apps including Microsoft Edge and Settings freeze when clicking on hyperlinks and make CPU usage reach 100% on state repository service after a totally clean install including deleting all partitions of the Fall Creators Update while online via Ethernet. The only fix is to reinstall the ISO media with the Ethernet cable unplugged and wait until the OOBE setup asks for the region before reconnecting the Ethernet cable. I have to physically unplug the Ethernet cable from the router to prevent it from accessing the internet during the first just a moment phase of the OOBE setup before the region setup.
Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate)
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2017-10-26T19:17:20+00:00 Yes, I did but it didn't solved my problem and after that I did a clean boot it also didn't solved my problem.
I'm going to tell you what I think about this issue.
If you upgrade your window from 1703 to 1709 the problem will not occur everything works fine but after upgrading your pc if you reinstall your window State repository service will make cpu reach 60% usage everytime you try to open a link in Micorsoft edge and thus because of this PC start's lagging.
PC SPEC,
Core I 5 7600k
Z170x gaming 7 motherboard
graphic card GTX 1070
240GB SSD
2TB harddrive.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2017-10-27T13:30:33+00:00 We encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.
For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video.
In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:
- On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app
- Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback
- Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory
4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done
- Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit
- Click Continue using Feedback Hub
- Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear)
- Open the item you submitted, then click Share
- Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>)
Let us know if you have other concern.
-
Anonymous
2017-10-27T19:46:19+00:00 We encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub. (...)
Let us know if you have other concern.
@John
Thanks for you advice but this is not working. I suffered from the same problem and when I tried to report it on Feedback Hub my PC has completely frozen with CPU being nearly constantly close to 100%. I have just installed today new Windows 10 64 bit Pro from USB that I just created today using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. I have it installed on completely new PC that is built from:
- Intel NUC7I5BHN
- with Crucial 16 GB Kit (8gbx2) DDR4 2133 MT/S (pc4 – 17000) sodimm 260-Pin Memory – ct2 K8g4sfs8213
- and Samsung MZ-N5E500BW 850 EVO SSD, 500 GB, SATA III, 6 GB/s, M.2
It seems that the problem was lesser when I used Chrome i.e. the links opened quite fast. It was fairly bad with Edge with CPU hitting around 40 - 50% and the links being opened after a minute or so. And my computer went completely bananas when I tried to use the Feedback Hub as you suggested. Then CPU went to 100%, PC froze and after some time some processes crashed, the wallpaper disappeared and my desktop changed to black. And one more thing. Not all the links were resulting in high CPU load. I noticed that the biggest problems I had when clicking on the search results from bing.com, google.com and downloadcenter.intel.com. As far as I remember I had lesser problems when clicking in Edge browser on the links at www.msn.com.
Anyway. Instead of sending us to Feedback Hub I would suggest to check the Google stats because this topic will soon be trending it seems :-)
BUT! I have also good news. While typing this message I managed to fix this issue :-)))) While trying to fix it I messed up my PC****so badly that in the end I had to use the recovery option from the Settings Window in Windows 10 and the problem is fixed now! I have no further problems with links at google.com or bing.com. The downloadcenter.intel.com works instantaneously without any surge in CPU usage on my PC.