High CPU usage in state repository service after clean install of Fall Creators Update while online via ethernet

Anonymous
2017-10-21T09:08:14+00:00

Why do apps including Microsoft Edge and Settings freeze when clicking on hyperlinks and make CPU usage reach 100% on state repository service after a totally clean install including deleting all partitions of the Fall Creators Update while online via Ethernet.  The only fix is to reinstall the ISO media with the Ethernet cable unplugged and wait until the OOBE setup asks for the region before reconnecting the Ethernet cable.  I have to physically unplug the Ethernet cable from the router to prevent it from accessing the internet during the first just a moment phase of the OOBE setup before the region setup.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-26T19:17:20+00:00

    Yes, I did but it didn't solved my problem and after that I did a clean boot it also didn't solved my problem.

    I'm going to tell you what I think about this issue.

    If you upgrade your window from 1703 to 1709 the problem will not occur everything works fine but after upgrading your pc if you reinstall your window State repository service will make cpu reach 60% usage everytime you try to open a link in Micorsoft edge and thus because of this PC start's lagging.

    PC SPEC,

    Core I 5 7600k

    Z170x gaming 7 motherboard

    graphic card GTX 1070

    240GB SSD

    2TB harddrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-26T16:13:07+00:00

    The problem is this happens clean install, so nothing is loaded outside of what the installer provides during a clean install.  For me this included formatting the drives entirely.

    We're presented with a fresh desktop, a window of Edge open and nothing else.   The only way I noticed it at first is Edge was seemingly frozen presenting "<webpage> is not responding" errors on multiple domains that I tried.   

    I have 3 clean install machines that do this exact same thing.   In addition, each machine was tested with different keys created by the windows download tool, several times to ensure it wasn't a bad install.

    I contacted support via the built-in tool, they couldn't find an issue and ultimately gave me a different W10 FCU iso to write and install again, same issue. 

    TL;DR - The clean boot idea has been tested extensively via clean installs, to no avail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-26T16:05:25+00:00

    Have you tried performing the steps on my previous response? Also, we suggest performing a clean boot to help with the issue. Clean boot will help eliminate software conflicts that happen when you install, update, or run a program.

    Let us know if this works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-10-25T23:47:02+00:00

    I'm also facing the same issue literally installed my window 3 time because of it and state repository service is still making my cpu usage to reach 50% My Microsoft edge hanged 2 times when I was writing this and it literally took 20min to upload this message. Please fix this issue everything is just too slow because of this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments