Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

Anonymous
2018-01-08T16:13:57+00:00

I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.) 

How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-07T13:42:31+00:00

    Hi,

    This update can be stopped thru Task Scheduler. 

    Please try the following steps.

    Click your Start Button, type Task Scheduler and hit enter 

    In the left Panel, navigate to: Windows - Update Orchestrater 

    Right Pane double click 'Update Assistant' 

    Click on Triggers Tab 

    On each of the triggers ( At login . . . etc.) double click and uncheck 'Enabled'

    Under 'Update Assistant, there is another event 'Update Assistant CalendarRun' 

    Hope this helps,

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-08T20:37:46+00:00

    Hii i face the same problem but as u suggest i uninstall the windows 10 update assistance. 

    But whenever i tried to follow this

    C:\ drive 

    Select the Windows10Upgrade folder 

    To delete it, this error message occur.

    Now how to solve this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-08T20:47:07+00:00

    I face also face the same problem but as u suggested i uninstall windows 10 update assistant but when i tried to delete folder from c:\ drive this error shows

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-10T23:24:16+00:00

    Has anyone figured out how to stop the Windows10 Home Update Assistant from running yet??? I've tried everything detailed in the thread so far... no updates over metered connection, disable update in the scheduled tasks, changed the update folder to read only and with no system rights, etc,etc.

    Microsoft has definitely lost another customer as soon as I figure out how to get by with a chromebook or linux.

    In the meantime, how do I stop the update and/or just disable Microsoft from interacting with my computer entirely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-25T18:47:17+00:00

    You cannot stop the Update Assistant.  I have blocked everything that I have been told to block and it just keeps coming back.  If you can set your machine to metered do that, but it will still keep telling you the same thing about updates but at least you will be able to click "remind me later".  Its obviously something Microsoft has done but you cant get away from it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments