Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

Anonymous
2018-01-08T16:13:57+00:00

I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.) 

How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-24T18:45:51+00:00

    Same problem here. Microsoft actually took control of my laptop twice for a total of about 6 hours and has done everything listed here as suggestions and has even told me that my version of the i7 chip is not compatible with the update. I have also tried some "unofficial" suggestions from around the forums. Nothing, not even God himself can keep this update from trying. In 30 days if it's not fixed I'll have no choice but to put the restore disk in and go back to Windows 8.1 or switch to Linux. Microsoft has really messed this one up. Good thing my computer isn't running life support machine or something. I guess those people just die when the update fails. Thanks for not letting us disable updates you jerks...sorry, been dealing with this for over 3 months now. About to just shoot the hard drive with a 12 gauge.

    Love,

    Ray

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-25T18:27:35+00:00

    I followed these steps, and after the third attempt, it worked!  No more daily interruptions that tell me I have to reboot to update (but that won't work).

    ... until yesterday, when I got another "windows update assistant" popup.  The scheduler and background tasks were still disabled, but yet it still found a way to get through and install itself.

    I need a "leave me the heck alone" option for Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-25T18:52:23+00:00

    I have the same problem and it just started this month. I am a certified technician (not solely Microsoft!) and have done everything that can possibly done to fix this disruption. This not only is an annoyance but it is a financial hindrance when things can't be done on time. Who loses the money and time? Not Microsoft and they don't seem to be held responsible for those of us that the update does not apply. Instead of trying to rush things to keep up with competitors how about taking time to develop something that has been tested and ready to launch for EVERYONE! I have been loyal to Microsoft for MANY years but the constant headaches are getting to be more frequent than few. You spend lots of money on a product and you expect it to work. I'm not saying things don't happen even with the best of things, but this is unacceptable.  It used to be if a company didn't produce a quality product they were held responsible by loss of sales,  replacements, sued or some form of accountability.  In today's world the greedy become more greedy and power goes to their head.  It is pathetic when their own "people" can't help. What's the point in that?  They know some will NEED to buy their product because it is all they know or are comfortable with their platform.  This update is like a someone annoying you all the time and that is considered harassment. To me this update is harassment because I can't install it and I cant get it to stop pushing its way in my system!!  I am beyond frustrated!!            It's obvious Microsoft does not monitor these complaints/questions. It is easier to ignore those with the issue than it is to spend money to have someone come up with a valid, usable solution!!  I liked Windows 10 Pro at first, now I am leaning more toward its one of their biggest flops.  It's all about power and control!  What happened to....If it isn't  broke don't FIX IT!  I know technology needs to change but make sure it works before tainting the water at least!! Not everyone can afford to buy a new computer to fit the OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-27T05:40:22+00:00

    i totally agree, this is unacceptable, they dont care, they make too much money from spying on you, it doesnt matter if it bricks your PC or wastes your time, they make too much money on it, and for people that dont know, they just throw away their old computer and get another one, its a win win for microsoft at the expense of their customers and everyone knows it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-27T05:41:50+00:00

    its sad, if i update it will freeze my PC and warrant a OS reinstall until the next update (wich takes a month minimum to reconfigure everything back to normal), its so sad, i would update if i could but it freezes my PC so youd think microsoft would let me stop it? nope after talking to 10 people calling several times over the past few months they said my system isnt compatible and even though the update will freeze my PC and render it useless they said its literally impossible to stop, isnt that insane? oh and guess what, it is compatible! i checked and reconfirmed with microsoft, my mobo, GPU, CPU, ram manufacture ect and microsoft said its literally impossible to stop the update software from running and force updating my PC, i cant find the words to express my disgust and frustration towards them, they dont care and everyone knows it, its surreal, they know they are bricking computers out there but they make too much money from spying on you to stop. i guess im just glad the people that cant afford to upgrade their perfectly fine hardware, that are harassed by these horrible updates and wasted time talk about it and relate to eachother, maybe one day we can get enough awareness to force microsoft to stop willfully bricking peoples machines they spent so much money and time on, shame on you microsoft, youre just as bad as apple now, what a disgrace.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments