Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

Anonymous
2018-01-08T16:13:57+00:00

I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.) 

How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T16:30:59+00:00

    Jennifer, I got rid of the problem. I was able to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 version KB1709 by removing my wifi card (Anatel) from the main board. Have a look, if you also have an anatel wifi card in your pc...

    You can find more information on my thread:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_10-update/win-10-version-1709-upgrade-always-fails-at-82-but/b480adb8-5533-40a8-aa83-16b6e627edf4?messageId=ffd9e4bd-e741-438a-9170-d74aeb306dbd

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-04T18:34:22+00:00

    I FINALLY FOUND IT ! ! ! ! 

    After hours of searching. 

    Found the scheduled task that kicks this on. Just disable it. 

    Go to Task sceduler->Task sceduler library->Microoft->Windows->Updateorchestrator->

    Disable : UpdateAssistant, UpdateAssistanceCalenderRun, UpdateAssistantWakeupRun

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-05T15:22:44+00:00

    I did these things either of which got rid of this annoyance.

    Step 1- Block internet access with firewall for  c:\windows10upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe

    Step 2- Go to that directory and to that file right click on it go to Properties- Security- Advanced and set all of the users to block even system

    Step 3- go to c:\ and right click on windows10upgrade folder and follow instructions in step 2

    Step 4- set the windows10upgrade folder to read only.

    That solved my dilemma as three days in a row i got home to a BSOD and it reverted back to pre-update over and over.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-07T23:13:07+00:00

    There are several scheduled tasks that are likely to re-install UpdateAssistant on a regular basis (daily?).  They are:

    • UpdateAssistant
    • UpdateAssistantCalendarRun
    • UpdateAssistantWakeupRun

    Here is a partial screenshot of my TaskSchd.msc (aka Task Scheduler) screen:

    You want to disable the UpdateAssistant-related scheduled tasks. This page, "**https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b4216132-56c8-4a26-a9ba-aaed31686775/how-can-i-block-windows-10-upgrade-assistant-from-reinstalling-itself?forum=win10itprogeneral**", suggests disabling all the triggers for these scheduled tasks, which should avoid the persistent resurrection of UpdateAssistant, and tells you how to do so.

    My laptop is evidently incompatible with 1709 (having hung during install numerous times), is not listed by Lenovo as having been tested, and Microsoft seems bent on making it very hard to avoid the pain surrounding this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-08T10:15:30+00:00

    Hello everybody,

    One thing that is not clear to me is: If I follow this procedures to remove or block the windows assistant, will this freeze the system to the current settings including the Defender or antivirus will still get updates?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments