Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

Anonymous
2018-01-08T16:13:57+00:00

I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.) 

How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-31T15:41:30+00:00

    Sorry that the permissions change didn't do it for you.

    For my further education could you check that download folder now & see if the permissions have returned to default?

    If it did, that would be a remarkable effort by Microsoft to totally control your pc.

    If not, it would mean Microsoft is using a new method to do updates.

    I have been update free now for 3 weeks. I did the folder permissions change but within a few days of that I also did the following Task Scheduler changes and maybe that is doing the trick.

    Under Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Task Scheduler, then Microsoft, then Windows you'll see 2 tabs - Update Orchestrator and Windows Update.

    Disable EVERYTHING inside of both. There will be a minimum of 4 items in each to disable.

    Then check your programs and if you have anything like Windows Update Assistant, uninstall it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T21:39:15+00:00

    This works - see Page 11.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/how-to-turn-off-windows-updates-permanently/603be1d3-b4c5-415a-9094-db0e9d3fc9ab

    I did that a couple weeks ago. It lasted about 3-4 days then magically started trying to update again. Nothing can stop this update. Some tricks slow it down but the hand of God comes down and reverts the changes we make back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T19:50:54+00:00

    Hi,

    I have recently noticed this also...

    I uninstalled it in Programs and Features, and again later in APPS...

    It reinstalled in as little as 10-15 minutes..

    It does not seem to appear in the Windows Update Show\Hide Tool either...

    I can only think it must be hidden in another update...

    What worked best for me was to go into Taskmanager, right click on the Windows Update Assistant, and select "Open File Location"...

    I then renamed the file and then selected "End Task"... This was successful in shutting it down without it trying to reinstall...

    I later found this suggestion concerning Disabling it in Task Scheduler...

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/is-it-possible-to-uninstall-the-windows-10-update/f6c52b1e-e4aa-48f4-9d56-7eae9640deda?auth=1 

    From what I have found is that it is best to not Uninstall it, just disable it... Uninstalling simply triggers it to reinstall...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T17:48:07+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T17:31:15+00:00

    There is NO stop to this madness and Microsoft apparently does not see anything that is posted here.  They call this a community so others help and Microsoft can show a blind eye to all the damage they have created with their greediness.  I have this update going on now as a constant loop. I keep uninstalling and it pops right back up and tries to load again.  My system IS NOT compatible with the update by Microsoft's OWN ADMISSION but yet my needed work is being delayed by the constant interruption of a menace that installs only to delay further to roll back to the previous so that it can try to reinstall again.  I feel a class action law suit would be warranted but we all know that the greedy have the upper hand. We no longer control how we do things, greed does!  I have been a Microsoft customer for a long time. I am a certified IT and am about ready to just give up with anything that involves the two companies that have such control. It's like living in a world of children who never learned ethics and manners!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments