Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

Anonymous
2018-01-08T16:13:57+00:00

I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.) 

How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-10T23:24:16+00:00

    Has anyone figured out how to stop the Windows10 Home Update Assistant from running yet??? I've tried everything detailed in the thread so far... no updates over metered connection, disable update in the scheduled tasks, changed the update folder to read only and with no system rights, etc,etc.

    Microsoft has definitely lost another customer as soon as I figure out how to get by with a chromebook or linux.

    In the meantime, how do I stop the update and/or just disable Microsoft from interacting with my computer entirely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-07T13:42:31+00:00

    Hi,

    This update can be stopped thru Task Scheduler. 

    Please try the following steps.

    Click your Start Button, type Task Scheduler and hit enter 

    In the left Panel, navigate to: Windows - Update Orchestrater 

    Right Pane double click 'Update Assistant' 

    Click on Triggers Tab 

    On each of the triggers ( At login . . . etc.) double click and uncheck 'Enabled'

    Under 'Update Assistant, there is another event 'Update Assistant CalendarRun' 

    Hope this helps,

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-02T17:01:06+00:00

    I found a way to disable Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant FOR GOODNESS SAKE, PERMANENTLY.

    CAUTION: Do this at your own risk, don't get mad at me if it did not work for you.

    1. Open "Task Manager", Stop the process "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant"
    2. Uninstall "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant"
    3. *Delete the "Windows10Upgrade" folder on C:*
    4. Download and Install "CCleaner" application, a free version will work like the paid version do.
    5. After installation, open the application, click the "Tools" tab on the left side
    6. On the sub-menus, click "Startup"
    7. Click "Scheduled Tasks", tick on the "Advanced Mode" box on the upper right
    8. There you can find all possible tasks either Microsoft or other third party publisher's application or services you can Enable or Disable, just browse and select anything that says "Windows 10 Upgrade", "Windows Update" etc..(might not be the exact word as far as I recall but do your analyzing skills to find anything related to this miserable upgrade thing on the list, this will work for sure.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T17:48:07+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-25T23:30:02+00:00

    Jennifer, is your problem solved? I have exactl the same!

    Yes!! Thanks for asking. 

    The weird thing that persists is that there are a couple of Windows updates that download and successfully install on a regular basis. Like, the exact same ones each time. (KB4033631, KB4049411)

    But that's a separate issue, I believe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments