Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

Anonymous
2018-01-08T16:13:57+00:00

I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.) 

How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T19:50:54+00:00

    Hi,

    I have recently noticed this also...

    I uninstalled it in Programs and Features, and again later in APPS...

    It reinstalled in as little as 10-15 minutes..

    It does not seem to appear in the Windows Update Show\Hide Tool either...

    I can only think it must be hidden in another update...

    What worked best for me was to go into Taskmanager, right click on the Windows Update Assistant, and select "Open File Location"...

    I then renamed the file and then selected "End Task"... This was successful in shutting it down without it trying to reinstall...

    I later found this suggestion concerning Disabling it in Task Scheduler...

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/is-it-possible-to-uninstall-the-windows-10-update/f6c52b1e-e4aa-48f4-9d56-7eae9640deda?auth=1 

    From what I have found is that it is best to not Uninstall it, just disable it... Uninstalling simply triggers it to reinstall...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T11:03:40+00:00

    This popup with no "STOP" button is unacceptable and its idiotic perseverance is appalling.

    It failed yesterday and in the last 100 days on this very laptop: let's try again!!!

    With no report/stop/skip nothing that can help understand what's wrong or just say "please leave me alone!"

    I have it on my office laptop and I have to disconnect it from the network to hide this popup.

    I tried all the things that were suggested (disinstall the assistant, put the branch for business, stop the planned activities and so on) but after some days it pops-up again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-11T05:38:22+00:00

    Same here, make me crazy! Can you guys just stop z-turn? No zuo no die.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-09T23:07:12+00:00

    i did this, but it has come back... twice...

    the fudger won't quit

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-08T15:49:21+00:00

    Haha, yes I've done these things and so far (3 hours later) the dreaded flash screen message hasn't reappeared. 

    As a previous poster said, Microsoft appears to have lost the plot in recent times.

    So much for being consumer led!

    Bunkum!

    Thanks for the reply - I will update if there are (negative) developments

    Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments