its sad, if i update it will freeze my PC and warrant a OS reinstall until the next update (wich takes a month minimum to reconfigure everything back to normal), its so sad, i would update if i could but it freezes my PC so youd think microsoft would let me stop it? nope after talking to 10 people calling several times over the past few months they said my system isnt compatible and even though the update will freeze my PC and render it useless they said its literally impossible to stop, isnt that insane? oh and guess what, it is compatible! i checked and reconfirmed with microsoft, my mobo, GPU, CPU, ram manufacture ect and microsoft said its literally impossible to stop the update software from running and force updating my PC, i cant find the words to express my disgust and frustration towards them, they dont care and everyone knows it, its surreal, they know they are bricking computers out there but they make too much money from spying on you to stop. i guess im just glad the people that cant afford to upgrade their perfectly fine hardware, that are harassed by these horrible updates and wasted time talk about it and relate to eachother, maybe one day we can get enough awareness to force microsoft to stop willfully bricking peoples machines they spent so much money and time on, shame on you microsoft, youre just as bad as apple now, what a disgrace.
Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running
I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.)
How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-03-27T05:41:50+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-03-30T17:31:15+00:00 There is NO stop to this madness and Microsoft apparently does not see anything that is posted here. They call this a community so others help and Microsoft can show a blind eye to all the damage they have created with their greediness. I have this update going on now as a constant loop. I keep uninstalling and it pops right back up and tries to load again. My system IS NOT compatible with the update by Microsoft's OWN ADMISSION but yet my needed work is being delayed by the constant interruption of a menace that installs only to delay further to roll back to the previous so that it can try to reinstall again. I feel a class action law suit would be warranted but we all know that the greedy have the upper hand. We no longer control how we do things, greed does! I have been a Microsoft customer for a long time. I am a certified IT and am about ready to just give up with anything that involves the two companies that have such control. It's like living in a world of children who never learned ethics and manners!!
-
Anonymous
2018-03-05T15:22:44+00:00 I did these things either of which got rid of this annoyance.
Step 1- Block internet access with firewall for c:\windows10upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe
Step 2- Go to that directory and to that file right click on it go to Properties- Security- Advanced and set all of the users to block even system
Step 3- go to c:\ and right click on windows10upgrade folder and follow instructions in step 2
Step 4- set the windows10upgrade folder to read only.
That solved my dilemma as three days in a row i got home to a BSOD and it reverted back to pre-update over and over.
-
Anonymous
2018-01-29T16:30:59+00:00 Jennifer, I got rid of the problem. I was able to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 version KB1709 by removing my wifi card (Anatel) from the main board. Have a look, if you also have an anatel wifi card in your pc...
You can find more information on my thread:
-
Anonymous
2018-01-08T23:55:33+00:00 Thanks Greg! I'd actually already done both of those things. I'll let you know if the issue persists. It could be that I just have to click "Remind me later" every day until I get myself a new computer...