Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

Anonymous
2018-01-08T16:13:57+00:00

I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.) 

How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T15:13:20+00:00

    Hi,

    I bought a 8" tablet a couple of years ago mostly just to get used to a touch screen, and have a method to check email from the forums without needing to boot my desktop...

    Mine started with Win 8.1 preinstalled and has only 1GB memory...

    My biggest problem is that everything is so small that it makes it difficult to use at times... I can overcome this by using the included Bluetooth keyboard, but for doing just a quick check of something, it is too much of a pain to pair it..

    It works good if you leave it powered on and in a sleep state, but if you turn it off it takes a tremendously long time to finish booting... Fortunately it has a long battery life to let it sleep..

    The deal with the Windows.old folder is that it contains the files needed to "RollBack" your upgrade to the previous version... It is not the same thing as a System Restore and does not use Restore Points..

    It may or may not have personal files in it... Most likely not as they are in with the new OS... But I have read of times that some ended up in Windows.old..

    Normally I delete the Windows.old folders once I am sure the new setup is working..

    In reality, sometimes I don't even wait... It is one of the first things I do after the upgrade... If there is a issue I rely on a backup image and just start over...

    I would guess that more people that not end up reinstalling Windows after attempting a "RollBack".. It doesn't seem to be reliable... You may get your old version back, but it's functionality just isn't the same as before...

    The biggest deal with the UEFI Bios for me is the requirement of the EFI partition as the Boot Device (WindowsBootManager)… This creates problems for me with some of my imaging... It can wreck havoc if you don't restore images just exactly right...

    I switch all of my machines to Legacy Bios if possible, but it is not on the tablet...

    The UEFI Bios also requires different Installation Media or it will crash the install...

    UEFI Bios requires a Flash Drive "Initialized" as "GPT" and Formatted FAT32, and Legacy Bios requires the Flash Drive to be "Initialized" as "MBR" and Formatted NTFS..

    In addition, you may even need to use Boot Options to select either the "UEFI Flash Drive" or the standard "Flash Drive" for Legacy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments