Windows Live Mail Import Problem after Clean Install

Anonymous
2017-11-02T14:40:08+00:00

After I did the clean install etc. and got the windows live mail ready to import my email messages from my zip stick or whatever it is called.  I messed up and received email from my ISP.  Can I import my old emails now, or should I remove the emails from the ISP?   I do not want to mess anything up.

I want my OLD emails but I also want the new emails, can I do it?    Is there another free email program that MS offers?  If so will I be able to import my WLM emails to it?

Thanks!        CarrmasDad2

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-06T22:53:13+00:00

    I exported my emails that were in my IN BOX today.   When I imported them back they are all in my DELETED folder.   I know I can move them to the IN BOX!  I tried to import other dates that I has exported and they did not work.   Does MS offer other email programs that are free?

    Thanks!       CarrmasDad2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-06T21:05:37+00:00

    Did you backup your mail, as instructed?

    If you did, you should be able to import the messages from your backup:

    1. Again, click the icon 
    2. Choose Import messages
    3. Choose Windows LIve Mail
    4. Next
    5. Navigate to your backed up messages folder

    You should see your folders there and you can import them all or selectively

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-06T20:46:35+00:00

    Re: your post November 2 2017

    If you used the in-built backup from WLM, you should be able to import those folders.

    Click the , choose import messages.  The rest should follow from there.  

    Not really sure if this will affect more current email already on file.  I would backup up the current email first.  Clear all email.  Import the messages, then import the current email you just backed up.

    Here are the backup instructions I provide my clients:

    Backup Windows Live Mail & contacts

    1. Open the mail portion, click on the down pointing arrow in the top left corner, choose Export Email, then choose Email Messages, then choose Windows Live Mail. did this in the past, also did what I had today, before I deleted them. I did not delete my contact list, would that have made a difference?
    2. Now choose where the backup is to go. Create another folder inside your backup drive folder for this entire backup and name it email yourname dd-mm-yy  did this
    3. Open the address book (Contact list) portion of Windows Live Mail
    4. On the top towards the right, find the Export icon. Choose comma separated values did not do this. sorry!  but when I did the import function, the address book is all that I now have.
    5. Click the browse button and navigate to your external hard drive folder for this backup and create yet another folder named address book yourname dd-mm-yy. did this
    6. On the next screen choose which data elements to backup. I choose them all did this

    Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by Microsoft.  Not such a bad thing because that also means they are less likely to mess it up.  For your own security, you should download a copy of the program and store it in your backup drive in case you need to re-install for some I uninstalled Windows Essentials 2012 and then used the link that you gave me.  Then I tried to import everything from my external drive, and all I got were the contacts.  What am I doing wrong? Is not removing the contacts the problem?

    Move your Mail folder (a one time thing)    I have not done this yet, wanting to get straightened out!

    HELP PLEASE!   CarrmasDad2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-05T20:31:55+00:00

    Next step is to re-install WLM.

    First remove it and restart.

    Upon completion of install and startup of WLM, it should find your files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-05T19:15:18+00:00

    the three dots worked like a dream!   Thanks

    WLM, problem

    still have the following.is the X supposed to be there?

    You are GOOD Kid, I appreciate you!!!     CarrmasDad2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments