File not found. Check the file name and try again.

Anonymous
2018-03-30T19:55:52+00:00

Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-21T06:36:45+00:00

Turn off Controlled Folder Access:

  • Select Start  > Settings .
  • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
  • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
  • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

Was this answer helpful?

1100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-27T17:54:40+00:00

    This sounds wonderful but, since the update in October, when I go to Virus & threat protection, I can never get past "Getting protection info..."  I've let it run for 3 hours hoping it would work, but no joy :(

    Anyone know how to get Windows Defender to work since the update?

    Thanks!

    tracy

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-12-27T07:51:45+00:00

    Turn off Controlled Folder Access:

    • Select Start  > Settings .
    • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
    • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

    Abdullah_Shahadat

    I honestly could hug you... get here now and I'll hug you LOL

    Seriously though this is not the first time this thing has happened to me and I ended up reinstalling windows from scratch, I just followed your instructions and boom! It worked!

    You're my HEEEERRROOO :D

    ~Karen

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-12-21T23:54:07+00:00

    Thank you, thank you!!! I spent hours trying to resolve this issue, and your suggestion worked first time.  I was in contact with Microsoft today, they could not help me, so I hope they add this info to their knowledge database.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-12-13T15:32:46+00:00

    Why on earth would I need to disable a security feature each time I wish to perform one of the most common functions on a computer?  

    I really hate Microsoft.  You can't seem to make anything that functions properly.  And you don't really seem to care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments