File not found. Check the file name and try again.

Anonymous
2018-03-30T19:55:52+00:00

Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-21T06:36:45+00:00

Turn off Controlled Folder Access:

  • Select Start  > Settings .
  • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
  • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
  • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

Was this answer helpful?

1100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-21T18:06:42+00:00

    Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

    I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

    In my case, I solved the problem by realizing that I had activated the ransomware protection under virus and thread protection.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-20T10:09:37+00:00

    Thanks man!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-19T10:58:38+00:00

    Thanks Abdullah

    Problem resolved and instructions easy to follow.

    However, by switching off controlled folder access, is my PC now vulnerable to attack?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-18T19:12:52+00:00

    After almost an entire day assuming this was a Photoshop problem, then an Adobe program, then maybe the hard drive is corrupted or file permissions are locked, I somehow finally found your answer & fixed it literally in seconds!!

    I had uninstalled something yesterday and for some reason it required turning off the firewall. When I turned it back on, I inadvertently turned on that feature by accident...  

    Thank god I found your answer!!  Thanks!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments