File not found. Check the file name and try again.

Anonymous
2018-03-30T19:55:52+00:00

Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-21T06:36:45+00:00

Turn off Controlled Folder Access:

  • Select Start  > Settings .
  • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
  • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
  • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

Was this answer helpful?

1100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-22T15:58:39+00:00

    huh?  what are you talking about??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-22T15:48:58+00:00

    attacked a teammate

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-22T13:47:00+00:00

    Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

    I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-21T19:05:51+00:00

    Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

    I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

    In my case, I solved the problem by realizing that I had activated the ransomware protection under virus and thread protection.

    Enes, 

    That is what happened to me too. I had uninstalled an app that asked for me to turn off the firewall & virus scanning stuff. I did but when I reactivated it, I clicked on too many items and turned on that ransomware protection...  

    Thanks

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments