File not found. Check the file name and try again.

Anonymous
2018-03-30T19:55:52+00:00

Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-21T06:36:45+00:00

Turn off Controlled Folder Access:

  • Select Start  > Settings .
  • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
  • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
  • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

Was this answer helpful?

1100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-11T16:07:40+00:00

    Thanks Nathan.

    I solved my own problem by turning off "Controlled folder access."  It's odd that MS Wordpad did not have default access to controlled folders.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Nathan Roberts (SN) 13,701 Reputation points Student Ambassador Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-30T20:00:43+00:00

    Hey there, larkspurcliff

    Welcome to the Microsoft Community forums.

    Please can you make sure your checking online at https://onedrive.com to see if it has uploaded onto the cloud.

    Please also check your recycling bin to make sure it has not been deleted.

    Hope this helps,

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments