File not found. Check the file name and try again.

Anonymous
2018-03-30T19:55:52+00:00

Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-21T06:36:45+00:00

Turn off Controlled Folder Access:

  • Select Start  > Settings .
  • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
  • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
  • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

Was this answer helpful?

1100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-17T15:49:56+00:00

    This fixed my issue... Thank you !!!

    I have had this issue since I changed over to Windows defender but it only happened on Intuit products. (Quicken and Turbo tax) For some reason Microsoft thinks the Intuit programs are unfriendly applications. In reading up on this windows feature it is an attempt by Microsoft to stop ransomware but there are know issues with it like this one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T22:02:35+00:00

    Worked great, glad to know the biggest threat I have to my computer computing is windows itself. Thank you for shooting yourself in the foot Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-21T19:05:51+00:00

    Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

    I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

    In my case, I solved the problem by realizing that I had activated the ransomware protection under virus and thread protection.

    Enes, 

    That is what happened to me too. I had uninstalled an app that asked for me to turn off the firewall & virus scanning stuff. I did but when I reactivated it, I clicked on too many items and turned on that ransomware protection...  

    Thanks

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-12-27T17:54:40+00:00

    This sounds wonderful but, since the update in October, when I go to Virus & threat protection, I can never get past "Getting protection info..."  I've let it run for 3 hours hoping it would work, but no joy :(

    Anyone know how to get Windows Defender to work since the update?

    Thanks!

    tracy

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments