Controlled Folder Access Blocked problem in Windows Defender

Anonymous
2018-01-02T16:41:03+00:00

On 12/13 , Windows Defender did an update and ever since I keep getting messages like the following when I try to access programs such as Carbonite, Quicken, etc.  The message says:

Controlled folder Access Blocked C:\Program Folders ...qw.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile\desktop

I have turned off the Controlled Folder Access off in Windows Defender as this error message popped up every time I wanted to access a program.  I was able to get into the program but need to know what is going on and what I can do about it.  Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-18T18:41:03+00:00

    What's going on is exactly what the notification from CFA told you, the applications involved are attempting to make some sort of change in the Windows Desktop folder of the user starting the program.

    The problem with this is that it's the same type of operations that might be seen when a ransomware attack attempts to modify items in the Desktop Folder in order to make your system non-functional or encrypt whatever personal files you may have placed there.

    The decision you (and the developers of those badly behaving programs) need to make is whether the actions being attempted by these otherwise valid programs truly need to occur, since these are why Microsoft can't simply block all access to folders like the Desktop in order to avoid ransomware attacks altogether.

    Since the most common reason that older (e.g. outdated design) applications made such access to the Desktop was simply to add an icon, which is something you could do yourself with a simple set of mouse clicks.  By automating this in either their installation programs or worse yet when you're simply starting the program itself, they create issues for Microsoft when trying to protect you from programs with more malicious intent.

    If all you see when using these programs is such notifications and they otherwise seem to operate properly, then you can simply ignore the message(s) and continue using the programs with CFA fully intact.  If they don't work properly, then you'll need to allow those programs the rights within CFA to make changes to those folders or better yet, update to more current versions of these programs that no longer require this access.

    In short, it's your trashy outdated software that's making it impossible for Microsoft to easily protect you from ransomware, so either get rid of them or live with it.

    Rob

    That's odd because I'm not using old outdated trashy software (at least not in this case) and I'm still having a problem with Outlook in Office365.  Should be the latest version of Outlook.  I've tried adding Outlook to the list of OK apps but wouldn't you think that one would already be included by MFST?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-18T18:57:24+00:00

    I agree that that is odd because I have the most updated version of Quicken - still get the error message.  I have just turned off my Controlled Folder Access so I don't worry about it anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-21T11:34:16+00:00

    Gee, thanx for all the snarky help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-22T00:15:18+00:00

    On 12/13 , Windows Defender did an update and ever since I keep getting messages like the following when I try to access programs such as Carbonite, Quicken, etc.  The message says:

    Controlled folder Access Blocked C:\Program Folders ...qw.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile\desktop

    I have turned off the Controlled Folder Access off in Windows Defender as this error message popped up every time I wanted to access a program.  I was able to get into the program but need to know what is going on and what I can do about it.  Thank you.

    window defender did update i get messages controlled  folder access block c:/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-22T02:24:51+00:00

    Hi Ronald,

    The Controlled folder access is a feature of Windows Defender that reviews the apps that can make changes to files in protected folders. You can turn off this feature by following the steps below:

    1. Click Start then select Settings.
    2. Choose Update & security and select Windows Security/Defender.
    3. Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
    4. Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
    5. Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

    You can also use this article about Windows Defender Security Center on how you can use it to protect your device.

    Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments