It wasn't just not allowing me to install the program, what started it all is that it wouldn't allow me to save the file I was working on in my Documents which I had no problem doing until yesterday. It also didn't allow me to run the Seagate backup software that was already installed. With Defender off, I don't have either of these problems. Do you think that turning on Windows Defender and turning off CFA will stop these problems as well? I do have Malwarebytes Premium and have been very happy with it.
Controlled Folder Access Blocked problem in Windows Defender
On 12/13 , Windows Defender did an update and ever since I keep getting messages like the following when I try to access programs such as Carbonite, Quicken, etc. The message says:
Controlled folder Access Blocked C:\Program Folders ...qw.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile\desktop
I have turned off the Controlled Folder Access off in Windows Defender as this error message popped up every time I wanted to access a program. I was able to get into the program but need to know what is going on and what I can do about it. Thank you.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2018-03-27T21:25:40+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-03-27T22:00:16+00:00 It absolutely should – because that’s the only Windows Defender component that has the ability to block apps on the basis of folder access. However, we have seen some compatibility issues that can apparently prevent CFA from being turned off properly in the presence of a real-time third-party app. If you have any trouble with that, you should check the compatibility setting in Malwarebytes Premium, and make sure it's set to Never Register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1149
GreginMich
-
Anonymous
2018-03-27T22:31:45+00:00 they need to find the fix for what ever the problem is. there are to many people having same issue. hope they find it soon and fix it
-
Anonymous
2018-03-27T23:48:26+00:00 I did all of that and, so far, all is good. I went through a couple days of thinking I had severe data problems (like a corrupted user) and all it took was one click! Thank you.
-
Anonymous
2018-04-01T06:45:00+00:00 I too am having the same problems with my system. I am getting the
"Unauthorized changes blocked.
Controlled folder access blocked
c:\windows....\Notepad.exe from making changes to the folder." as well as these....
c:....\ApplePhotoStream
c:\Program...\iexplore.exe
c:\Program....\chrome.exe
c:\user....\mcsnowvendor.exe
Then I am getting everything from
%userprofile%\favorites
%userprofile%...\Downloads
%userprofile%...\Documents
%desktopdirectory%\
%userprofile%...\3253 Alvin....
I literally can not run, copy, download or save anything to my computer which is a major issue as I work from home and use my all in one as my main system. I cant download work files or any attachments. I cant even print my invoices or bids. I tried to save something in plain text mode on my desktop and that was blocked as well. It tells me that the file can not be located when I try to save the invoice or download and to check the file name and try again. Umm, of course it cant be found I am trying to download it now. And this occurs at the very same time that the Windows defender notifies me that it blocked access. So what do I do now. My computer is rendered useless. Its costing me money and maybe my job if I cant get it running.