Controlled Folder Access Blocked problem in Windows Defender

Anonymous
2018-01-02T16:41:03+00:00

On 12/13 , Windows Defender did an update and ever since I keep getting messages like the following when I try to access programs such as Carbonite, Quicken, etc.  The message says:

Controlled folder Access Blocked C:\Program Folders ...qw.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile\desktop

I have turned off the Controlled Folder Access off in Windows Defender as this error message popped up every time I wanted to access a program.  I was able to get into the program but need to know what is going on and what I can do about it.  Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T15:08:39+00:00

    I disagree with this "older outdated design" theory, I'm pretty sure many apps that are still currently developed, that yes, while not app store apps, like Docker are current and install an icon onto the desktop...  It is something installers should be able to do, if they can't, strange things may happen during the installation process, such as blocked installations, partial installations, rolled-back installations, installation errors, installers that drop out of the process.  Since the update I have had all of these things occur, and never had any problems with it before that.  Controlled Folder access seems a good thing to have enabled, but the desktop is not able to be removed from the list.   Programs (such as installers) should be able to function normally without being security-hobbled.  Its much like a similar problem that still exists with IFS drivers since the Anniversary update requires them signed, HFS+ and EXT2 (or later) drivers are mostly not digitally signed thus "unsecure" thus unable to function when they were working perfectly fine before that.

    Microsoft seems to be making their system less functional and more restrictive, in some ways there may be advantages, but all I've come across with them so far is blanket blocking techniques that give me less functionality out of my operating system...

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-25T18:14:23+00:00

    I too am getting this same pop up. I have updated my virus protection and spybot and I am getting---- unauthorized changes blocked. controlled folder access folder blocked C: \windows Rundll32.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile%favorites.

    it has taken my favorites and task bar favorite.

    HELP!!

    I have done everything it has said to do and my controlled settings is faded out so can't do anything

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-25T19:54:19+00:00

    See the answer in this thread:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/control-folder-access-blocked-cprogram-filesqwexe/0842c0df-98b0-428e-9299-7c7c8e6d3084

    For issues with installing applications, simply turn Controlled Folder Access off for the duration of the installation, and then back on again when the installation finishes.

    GreginMich

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-25T20:21:15+00:00

    Do I type in what pops up? the notice I typed out to you?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-25T20:48:10+00:00

    I was answering the original question belatedly, since it was never resolved. You might need to scan for malware with some of the tools listed here, starting with Malwarebytes Free:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning-windows_other/list-of-malware-removal-tools/d824b9af-ebd8-4c47-94e2-8ee6c544c100

    The interface for allowing an app through Controlled Folder Access is a file-picker dialog, where you select the file from the File Explorer list and then click on the Open button. But if the switch for Controlled Folder Access is greyed out, then it sounds like you might have put Windows Defender into some kind of undefined error state due to a conflict with the paid version of Spybot, or perhaps with some other third-party AV app. You can try disabling or uninstalling your third-party AV protection and then see if you can switch Controlled Folder Access off.

    GreginMich

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments