Its happeneing to me and iexplore.exe, applephotostream.exe notepad.exe as well as basically any program I try to run is blocked. I have a brand new (3month old) all in one Lenovo. So its not my crappy outdated software causing this issue. All my software is current and new. I literally cant download, print, or access most the programs on my system. Can you explain that? It all worked just fine a few days ago. I haven't installed anything new. And the files I am trying to download are just pictures in a .zip file. I cant save anything to the desktop or downloads or anywhere for that matter. I am constantly getting the same issue all over the place. I don't have any other AV installed on my system nor have I ever had a third party AV installed. So I know its not that. I have even taken the time to go through and add all the apps to the controlled access list and that has done nothing to fix it any of the issues I am having. I am tempted to just do a Reset of my system but I know that I run the risk of still having this problem once it updates again after I do this. Which means installing all my apps for work wont be allowed and I cant work until someone there is a fix for this. Its looking bleek. I'm completely stressed because I spent two hours on the phone with microsoft last night trying to fix it and all they told me was it was chrome causing the issue. But when I tried it again in IE after hanging up with them it again occurred there as well. I cant save anything in any of my libraries at all. Anyone have an answer for that?
Controlled Folder Access Blocked problem in Windows Defender
On 12/13 , Windows Defender did an update and ever since I keep getting messages like the following when I try to access programs such as Carbonite, Quicken, etc. The message says:
Controlled folder Access Blocked C:\Program Folders ...qw.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile\desktop
I have turned off the Controlled Folder Access off in Windows Defender as this error message popped up every time I wanted to access a program. I was able to get into the program but need to know what is going on and what I can do about it. Thank you.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-04-01T06:51:04+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-04-01T06:45:00+00:00 I too am having the same problems with my system. I am getting the
"Unauthorized changes blocked.
Controlled folder access blocked
c:\windows....\Notepad.exe from making changes to the folder." as well as these....
c:....\ApplePhotoStream
c:\Program...\iexplore.exe
c:\Program....\chrome.exe
c:\user....\mcsnowvendor.exe
Then I am getting everything from
%userprofile%\favorites
%userprofile%...\Downloads
%userprofile%...\Documents
%desktopdirectory%\
%userprofile%...\3253 Alvin....
I literally can not run, copy, download or save anything to my computer which is a major issue as I work from home and use my all in one as my main system. I cant download work files or any attachments. I cant even print my invoices or bids. I tried to save something in plain text mode on my desktop and that was blocked as well. It tells me that the file can not be located when I try to save the invoice or download and to check the file name and try again. Umm, of course it cant be found I am trying to download it now. And this occurs at the very same time that the Windows defender notifies me that it blocked access. So what do I do now. My computer is rendered useless. Its costing me money and maybe my job if I cant get it running.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-27T23:48:26+00:00 I did all of that and, so far, all is good. I went through a couple days of thinking I had severe data problems (like a corrupted user) and all it took was one click! Thank you.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-27T22:31:45+00:00 they need to find the fix for what ever the problem is. there are to many people having same issue. hope they find it soon and fix it
-
Anonymous
2018-03-27T22:00:16+00:00 It absolutely should – because that’s the only Windows Defender component that has the ability to block apps on the basis of folder access. However, we have seen some compatibility issues that can apparently prevent CFA from being turned off properly in the presence of a real-time third-party app. If you have any trouble with that, you should check the compatibility setting in Malwarebytes Premium, and make sure it's set to Never Register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1149
GreginMich