On 12/13 , Windows Defender did an update and ever since I keep getting messages like the following when I try to access programs such as Carbonite, Quicken, etc. The message says:
Controlled folder Access Blocked C:\Program Folders ...qw.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile\desktop
I have turned off the Controlled Folder Access off in Windows Defender as this error message popped up every time I wanted to access a program. I was able to get into the program but need to know what is going on and what I can do about it. Thank you.
Controlled Folder Access Blocked problem in Windows Defender
On 12/13 , Windows Defender did an update and ever since I keep getting messages like the following when I try to access programs such as Carbonite, Quicken, etc. The message says:
Controlled folder Access Blocked C:\Program Folders ...qw.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile\desktop
I have turned off the Controlled Folder Access off in Windows Defender as this error message popped up every time I wanted to access a program. I was able to get into the program but need to know what is going on and what I can do about it. Thank you.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-08-06T10:32:01+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-08-06T01:11:56+00:00 I am having the same problem. Today I have been trying to save files I was working on in Paint and Notepad. Windows Defender won't let me. I was trying to save them into subfolders of my Documents folder. Defender is telling me that my Documents folder is now a Controlled Folder. Yesterday, 24 hours ago, I didn't have this problem.
Now I am trying to add Paint and Notepad to the list of programs permitted to make changes. I am having a hard time finding them.
Why does Windows Defender think Windows programs are dangerous? Is Defender itself turning into a malware program?
-
Anonymous
2018-08-05T11:59:17+00:00 I pay for Office365 and today an Excel file that I use, update, and have saved everyday for over a year started getting the message and I can no longer update it and save it. So just what is Microsoft doing to Excel to make it look like ransom wear all of a suden?//
Same here. Word, Excel, iexplore, etc.
MS- we need help on this
-
Anonymous
2018-08-04T19:39:43+00:00 I pay for Office365 and today an Excel file that I use, update, and have saved everyday for over a year started getting the message and I can no longer update it and save it. So just what is Microsoft doing to Excel to make it look like ransom wear all of a suden?//
same here. i get the message now with Word, Excel, Outlook. Always get it with iexplore.exe (which i've added) and rundll32.exe.
The notification does not provide the full file path, as it shortens it, so you have to search for the file yet, even after doing this and adding, i still get the block messages. frustrating and annoying.
-
Anonymous
2018-07-04T18:12:29+00:00 I pay for Office365 and today an Excel file that I use, update, and have saved everyday for over a year started getting the message and I can no longer update it and save it. So just what is Microsoft doing to Excel to make it look like ransom wear all of a suden?//