I agree that that is odd because I have the most updated version of Quicken - still get the error message. I have just turned off my Controlled Folder Access so I don't worry about it anymore.
Controlled Folder Access Blocked problem in Windows Defender
On 12/13 , Windows Defender did an update and ever since I keep getting messages like the following when I try to access programs such as Carbonite, Quicken, etc. The message says:
Controlled folder Access Blocked C:\Program Folders ...qw.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile\desktop
I have turned off the Controlled Folder Access off in Windows Defender as this error message popped up every time I wanted to access a program. I was able to get into the program but need to know what is going on and what I can do about it. Thank you.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-06-18T18:57:24+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-05-05T21:25:36+00:00 Windows Defender is blocking the Windows10 troubleshooter for Windows Updates. Explain that.
-
Anonymous
2018-04-06T21:24:42+00:00 looks LIKE LINUX FOR ME
-
Anonymous
2018-04-01T06:45:00+00:00 I too am having the same problems with my system. I am getting the
"Unauthorized changes blocked.
Controlled folder access blocked
c:\windows....\Notepad.exe from making changes to the folder." as well as these....
c:....\ApplePhotoStream
c:\Program...\iexplore.exe
c:\Program....\chrome.exe
c:\user....\mcsnowvendor.exe
Then I am getting everything from
%userprofile%\favorites
%userprofile%...\Downloads
%userprofile%...\Documents
%desktopdirectory%\
%userprofile%...\3253 Alvin....
I literally can not run, copy, download or save anything to my computer which is a major issue as I work from home and use my all in one as my main system. I cant download work files or any attachments. I cant even print my invoices or bids. I tried to save something in plain text mode on my desktop and that was blocked as well. It tells me that the file can not be located when I try to save the invoice or download and to check the file name and try again. Umm, of course it cant be found I am trying to download it now. And this occurs at the very same time that the Windows defender notifies me that it blocked access. So what do I do now. My computer is rendered useless. Its costing me money and maybe my job if I cant get it running.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-27T23:48:26+00:00 I did all of that and, so far, all is good. I went through a couple days of thinking I had severe data problems (like a corrupted user) and all it took was one click! Thank you.