File History Not Backing Up OneDrive Local Files

Anonymous
2017-10-22T21:25:23+00:00

Running 16299.19 on new Surface Pro. I have about 15GB of OneDrive files synched to my local HDD. I have unchecked the "files on demand" button so that files are actually synched locally; however, when File History runs, it does not include those files in the backup. I have added my OneDrive folder to my Documents library, and I have included the OneDrive directory in the included folders through Windows settings. When I make changes to OneDrive files, they seem to be backed up incrementally; however, it is not making an initial backup, so there is no way I could do a complete restore if something happened to all of my OneDrive files.

I have tried disconnecting my OneDrive account, deleting all local OneDrive files, turning off file history, deleting file history files and setup files, reconnecting OneDrive, and turning File History back on. I have also tried turning on File History before re-connecting my OneDrive account.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-09T17:21:28+00:00

I have copied the email they sent me below.  I was able to see the green check marks and having reset OneDrive it didn't restart so I had to run the final task.  Then all was and still is well.

  • Are you able to see the green check marks on all the files/folders in OneDrive folder of file explorer?

Try resetting your OneDrive in windows 10 computer:-

  • Press the Windows key + R.
  • In the Run window, enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
  • Click OK.
  • Make sure the OneDrive icon in the notification area of the taskbar disappears and then re-appears after a minute or two. Here’s how to check: Right-click the white OneDrive cloud icon in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar.

(You might need to click the Show hidden icons arrow next to the notification area to see the

OneDrive icon.)

  • If the OneDrive icon doesn’t re-appear after a few minutes, open the Run window again and enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-14T20:36:23+00:00

    I just installed the cumulative update, and the OneDrive file history problem is NOT resolved. :(

    After installing the update, I turned off File History, deleted the file history folder on my backup drive, and deleted the file history configuration folder under appdata/microsoft/windows. Then I re-selected my backup drive, turned on file history, and clicked on "run now." File history backed up some folders but not most.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-14T22:20:58+00:00

    I concur with @dr-mac that this cumulative update does NOT resolve the OneDrive File History problem.

    Can anyone from MS officially comment if this matter is being investigated and a solution will follow?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-14T23:14:28+00:00

    I don't see any comments/posting from Joseph on this...

    Joseph we are waiting for you to officially comment on behalf of Microsoft and confirm that you are doing something about this...  two weeks of posting complete crap and not helping...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-14T23:17:23+00:00

    Hi Joseph,

    Can you please comment with some sense and provide a decent update?

    We are waiting for you to provide some assistance on this.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Kind regards,

    Neil

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments