File History Not Backing Up OneDrive Local Files

Anonymous
2017-10-22T21:25:23+00:00

Running 16299.19 on new Surface Pro. I have about 15GB of OneDrive files synched to my local HDD. I have unchecked the "files on demand" button so that files are actually synched locally; however, when File History runs, it does not include those files in the backup. I have added my OneDrive folder to my Documents library, and I have included the OneDrive directory in the included folders through Windows settings. When I make changes to OneDrive files, they seem to be backed up incrementally; however, it is not making an initial backup, so there is no way I could do a complete restore if something happened to all of my OneDrive files.

I have tried disconnecting my OneDrive account, deleting all local OneDrive files, turning off file history, deleting file history files and setup files, reconnecting OneDrive, and turning File History back on. I have also tried turning on File History before re-connecting my OneDrive account.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-09T17:21:28+00:00

I have copied the email they sent me below.  I was able to see the green check marks and having reset OneDrive it didn't restart so I had to run the final task.  Then all was and still is well.

  • Are you able to see the green check marks on all the files/folders in OneDrive folder of file explorer?

Try resetting your OneDrive in windows 10 computer:-

  • Press the Windows key + R.
  • In the Run window, enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
  • Click OK.
  • Make sure the OneDrive icon in the notification area of the taskbar disappears and then re-appears after a minute or two. Here’s how to check: Right-click the white OneDrive cloud icon in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar.

(You might need to click the Show hidden icons arrow next to the notification area to see the

OneDrive icon.)

  • If the OneDrive icon doesn’t re-appear after a few minutes, open the Run window again and enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-13T03:43:21+00:00

    We appreciate the information that you've provided and we're glad to know that the issue is already resolved. On the other hand, we encourage that you regularly update your computer to make sure that your device is at its maximum performance.

    To check for the latest update, go to Windows Update by clicking Start > Settings > Update & security and click Check for updates. It will scan and install all the latest updates available for your device.

    Additionally, we also encourage that you create a restore point if you want to make some changes on your PC. This will help you to go back to the normal working state of your computer if you encounter some issues. To do this, you may follow the steps provided in this article on how to use the recovery options in Windows 10. Once you're on the page, you may expand the Restore from a system restore pointoption and click the create a restore point manually link to do it. 

    If you have other concerns, feel free to post it here in the Community.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-13T21:31:19+00:00

    We appreciate the information that you've provided and we're glad to know that the issue is already resolved. On the other hand, we encourage that you regularly update your computer to make sure that your device is at its maximum performance.

    To check for the latest update, go to Windows Update by clicking Start > Settings > Update & security and click Check for updates. It will scan and install all the latest updates available for your device.

    Additionally, we also encourage that you create a restore point if you want to make some changes on your PC. This will help you to go back to the normal working state of your computer if you encounter some issues. To do this, you may follow the steps provided in this article on how to use the recovery options in Windows 10. Once you're on the page, you may expand the Restore from a system restore pointoption and click the create a restore point manually link to do it. 

    If you have other concerns, feel free to post it here in the Community.

    Hi Joseph,

    Can I please ask why you have posted this?  You haven't provided any useful assistance to me at all.  You provided the generic 'run the SFC utility' and that's it.

    This post of yours is completely pointless and provides nothing.

    We have confirmed that the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update doesn't work correctly in regard to the OneDrive client.

    My laptop created a Restore Point to the upgrade - but I have never seen a Restore Point successfully resolve a single issue with a Windows client.

    I am an MCSA and MCSE with over 20 years experience - so I would have expected a better response than what you have provided.

    If you are going to offer customers assistance, please be professional in what you provide.

    I actually install all of the Cumulative Updates, by visiting the Windows Update Catalog and installing them manually.

    The only reason I upgraded to the Fall Creators Update a few days after it being released, is because the Windows Update component started to download the full Fall Creators Update while I was on a wifi network in a hotel that is configured as a 'Metered Connection'.  Yes Windows Update ignores the 'Metered Connection' configuration.  Please check my other posting is this Community.

    Please above all...  before posting replies to people - ensure that you are being useful and adding value.

    Kind regards,

    Neil

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-13T22:02:13+00:00

    Hi Neil, I agree! We still have no solution to the problem that File History is Not Backing Up OneDrive Local Files after upgrading to Fall Update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-13T22:31:17+00:00

    I read Joseph's reply and I thought what 'what on earth is this guy trying to do'?  Trying to take credit for another member's assistance.

    My particular issue with the OneDrive client/File History component, but I have seen that you're issue hasn't been.

    This thread is over two weeks old and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of progress from Microsoft.  They appear to have acknowledged it in this thread - but I've not seen any formal response.

    We can only hope that it will be resolved in the Cumulative Update that is released tomorrow.

    I expect the Windows Update component to continue to ignore the 'Metered Connection' setting.  But I'd like to see if work properly...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments