File History Not Backing Up OneDrive Local Files

Anonymous
2017-10-22T21:25:23+00:00

Running 16299.19 on new Surface Pro. I have about 15GB of OneDrive files synched to my local HDD. I have unchecked the "files on demand" button so that files are actually synched locally; however, when File History runs, it does not include those files in the backup. I have added my OneDrive folder to my Documents library, and I have included the OneDrive directory in the included folders through Windows settings. When I make changes to OneDrive files, they seem to be backed up incrementally; however, it is not making an initial backup, so there is no way I could do a complete restore if something happened to all of my OneDrive files.

I have tried disconnecting my OneDrive account, deleting all local OneDrive files, turning off file history, deleting file history files and setup files, reconnecting OneDrive, and turning File History back on. I have also tried turning on File History before re-connecting my OneDrive account.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-09T17:21:28+00:00

I have copied the email they sent me below.  I was able to see the green check marks and having reset OneDrive it didn't restart so I had to run the final task.  Then all was and still is well.

  • Are you able to see the green check marks on all the files/folders in OneDrive folder of file explorer?

Try resetting your OneDrive in windows 10 computer:-

  • Press the Windows key + R.
  • In the Run window, enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
  • Click OK.
  • Make sure the OneDrive icon in the notification area of the taskbar disappears and then re-appears after a minute or two. Here’s how to check: Right-click the white OneDrive cloud icon in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar.

(You might need to click the Show hidden icons arrow next to the notification area to see the

OneDrive icon.)

  • If the OneDrive icon doesn’t re-appear after a few minutes, open the Run window again and enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T09:54:07+00:00

    Hi Neil,

    The  Windows Team could not solve the problem: when I contacted the Windows Team, they took over my laptop, and reinstalled Fall Update en run a sfc.exe. That did not solve the problem. So we still have no solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T10:58:08+00:00

    The OneDrive team have fixed this problem for me, I imagine they will post the solution or resolve it via an update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T11:00:29+00:00

    Hi Banjo_man,

    Great to hear! Do you know what they have done to solve the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T19:07:41+00:00

    Thank you for sharing this information. I followed the steps, but there was no change in the issues I am experiencing with file history backup of synched OneDrive files. I tried turning off, resetting, and re-configuring File History; it backed up some files but not most.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments