RealTek audio driver on windows 10 1709 doesn't work anymore

Anonymous
2017-12-08T16:27:09+00:00

I recently upgraded my Dell XPS 9333 laptop from windows 10 1703 to 1709. Consequence: the sound device in the system tray is marked with a red cross. The RealTek audio doesn't work anymore.

Before the windows upgrade my RealTek audio driver was the most recent version. Removing and installing the RealTek audio driver doesn't solve the problem.

How can the problem be solved?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-19T13:46:20+00:00

    When Microsoft does an update, this happens to me.  Here is a link that I have used every time and I get my sound back.  I use step 5.  My driver is an IDT

    Instead of uninstalling a driver, use the Windows generic --- choose update, then browse, then let me pick,  then  first one that is generic.  It works.  see line below

    https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/5-steps-to-fix-sound-audio-issues-on-windows-10/

    I can still get sound when Windows updates with its generic driver but I lose the advanced sound functions that are available with the original Realtek driver package. 

    Fortunately, I can work around this now by downloading direct from Realtek, installing the sound suite and then ignore the nags that there is an updated driver available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T16:43:15+00:00

    I was able to resolve this issue by going to Apps & Features and removing the RealTek Driver. After rebooting the sound service would start correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-25T23:34:39+00:00

    Try to disable Core isolation feature in security options. I had the same problem with my MSI GE70 after turning this function on. 

    After I disabled it, everything is working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-03T20:59:19+00:00

    It´s the 3rd of August 2018 and I have the same problem.

    Dell Inspiron 13, W10 Ent. upgraded from Home (1709) to Ent. and next to the v.1803 3 weeks ago.

    System sounds OK.

    Blizzard Diablo III OK

    Steam Spellforce III OK

    Steam older games (DirectX) sound failed

    Media player sound failed 

    Groove sound failed (unknown format - MP3, error 0x80????)

    VLC Failed (accidentally crash)

    Realtek sound control failed.

    Dell support recomended Factory recovery - a stupid little bit.

    Microsoft God recomendations failed.

    A lot of DCOM errors in Eventlog - Runtime broker - 9CA88EE3-ACB7-47c8-AFC4-AB702511C276 security settings not applicable.

    IMO - There is a problem somewhere between Devices-system- HD audio and Devices-Sound, video...-Realtek HD audio drivers.

    DCOM corrupted (during upgrade?), CDPserv, CDPUserServ - (APP W/O CLSID, APPID) , Unknown USERID in registry security settings ).

    I tried:

    1. I downloaded and installed all Dell updates, Windows update - No errors, but sound is not played (MP3, MP4, video, DirectX games) 
    2. Tried to remove driver - restart - let Windows found driver itself. No result
    3. Dell support contacted - ha ha ha
    4. Microsoft support search - ha ha ha

    One "good" solution recomended - FACTORY RESET! Ha ha ha ha ha ha. (8 E-mails, 3 Online services - 150GB data, Office and all custom settings, CRM SW, Database engine). Do you have aprox. two days of your time to spent useless? 

    Problem is.... Windows and Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-03T21:59:23+00:00

    I didn't try Alexanders suggestion and it is possible that it could work.

    I will tell you that I tried buying brand new sound cards and installing and that didn't even work.

    I dont see how you turn off core issolation because I am not running defender, I use other security software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments