RealTek audio driver on windows 10 1709 doesn't work anymore

Anonymous
2017-12-08T16:27:09+00:00

I recently upgraded my Dell XPS 9333 laptop from windows 10 1703 to 1709. Consequence: the sound device in the system tray is marked with a red cross. The RealTek audio doesn't work anymore.

Before the windows upgrade my RealTek audio driver was the most recent version. Removing and installing the RealTek audio driver doesn't solve the problem.

How can the problem be solved?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-19T13:03:35+00:00

    When Microsoft does an update, this happens to me.  Here is a link that I have used every time and I get my sound back.  I use step 5.  My driver is an IDT

    https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/5-steps-to-fix-sound-audio-issues-on-windows-10/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-19T13:03:05+00:00

    When Microsoft does an update, this happens to me.  Here is a link that I have used every time and I get my sound back.  I use step 5.  My driver is an IDT

    https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/5-steps-to-fix-sound-audio-issues-on-windows-10/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-19T13:01:49+00:00

    When Microsoft does an update, this happens to me.  Here is a link that I have used every time and I get my sound back.  I use step 5.  My driver is an IDT

    Instead of uninstalling a driver, use the Windows generic --- choose update, then browse, then let me pick,  then  first one that is generic.  It works.  see line below

    https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/5-steps-to-fix-sound-audio-issues-on-windows-10/

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-18T15:54:00+00:00

    I have the same problem. HP Pro 3400 with Intel h61 mainboard.

    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Realtek driver, but that didn't work. I tried rolling back the 1803 update, that didn't work.

    I also tried installing a new sound card, Creative Audiogy FX card. The card lists in device manager with an error. When I try to install the driver it say that no device is installed and cancelled out. Spent some time with creative customer support, but that isn't getting me anywhere either.

    I also had a com port installed on another PCIe-x port, it quit as well, but there is a USB card installed that hasn't been affected.

    It is almost like they disabled the PCIe-x ports altogether.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-18T14:55:43+00:00

    Hi trashcookies,

    Have you tried reloading/reinstallting the driver as I have instructed on my previous post?

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments