.Docx files are not showing word icon but only white plain icon (Windows 10)

Anonymous
2018-01-27T12:53:51+00:00

There is no problem in the process of opening of the files in word. it is just not showing the icon.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-25T21:41:04+00:00

    The Repair Office From Control Panel just uninstalled and installed Office suit back on. This did not resolved the issue. I had to associate that file with any other application and the back to Word in order for it to show it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-05T05:35:35+00:00

    Thank you very much,

    it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-08T02:00:11+00:00

    i was having an issue with right click new word document wasnt in the menu, and i had white icons on my word documents

    i went here

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/missing-new-word-document-in-right-click-context/629e6228-2dd7-4fb3-a1b6-a075c43166ba#:~:text=Press%20and%20hold%20windows%20key,and%20check%20if%20it%20helps.

    and did the registry fix for the missing menu and it allowed me to right click the file and select open with word and the icons came back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T00:38:58+00:00

    What worked for me was finding a system with a good Office 365 installation where Word icons were showing correctly.  I exported out the entire .docx registry key on the known good system.  Then, on the system that had the missing word icon, I did the following:

    1. I exported out the current .docx registry key for backup purposes.
    2. I then merged the .reg file from the known good system on the system with the missing word icon.
    3. I then right-clicked a word file, clicked open with, then clicked Choose another app, selected Wordpad, check boxed Always use this app to open .docx files, then click okay.
    4. Followed step 3 again, but this time for MS Word
    5. You may have to reboot for changes above to go into effect.

    These steps are all mostly from this post.  However, the approach with the registry along with the sequence above worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T01:07:20+00:00

    Dear K Tech:

    Thank you so much for responding to my question. I fixed the registry on my computer by following the steps outlined by another respondent, but I'm sure you're solution would have worked as well. All the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments