.Docx files are not showing word icon but only white plain icon (Windows 10)

Anonymous
2018-01-27T12:53:51+00:00

There is no problem in the process of opening of the files in word. it is just not showing the icon.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-27T19:21:20+00:00

    I also have only 'shell" and no "icon handler" with Office 2019

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-27T18:54:53+00:00

    Thankyou, this worked perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-27T17:54:02+00:00

    Hello.

    At HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12 key , i dont have shellex key. 

    I have onlyshell and inside it , i dont have "IconHandler" key.

    That with Office 2013.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-27T15:00:50+00:00

    Hello. I had the same issue and solved through this way.

    1. Execute "regedit"
    2. Locate "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\ShellEx"
    3. Delete the "IconHandler" key (I recommend making registry back-up file before deleting)
    4. (optional) To see if this has worked without re-boot, you can simply change the default program to ".docx" file from MS Word to another program, and then change back to MS Word.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-27T05:27:33+00:00

    I have the same problem and have tried everything and it is driving me insane for weeks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments