Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-01T12:22:26+00:00

    I have disabled the updates in registry,

    There's your problem. Stop editing the Registry and/or running registry cleaners and your system will perform better.

    As for the rest of your rant, you have every right to not use Windows 10. By all means format your systems and use something else.

    Good luck!

    Admittedly messing with the registry is dangerous but the issue here is Updates and their "messing with" the product that we bought.

    You may feel insulting people who are tired of MS arbitrarily screwing with our systems is perfectly OK but remember We have the right to use the product we bought and not have that product constantly manipulated. I run Linux also and they can manage to build a secure system that doesn't constantly update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-13T00:51:24+00:00

    This getting silly.  Every single update causes havoc and hours of work to redress issues caused making the PC unusable until fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-20T19:57:32+00:00

    Ha ha.

    You recommend something that is accessed through Cortana Search, which is a feature that I wish we'd be allowed to uninstall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-04T14:51:05+00:00

    I got so disgusted with the devastation done to my computer after every Windows update that I finally gave up and bought a Mac. That's what we ALL should do. Stop using MS products until they start listening to our feedback. The answers from MS given in these forums are almost always ridiculous and pointless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-09-04T17:26:52+00:00

    I got so disgusted with the devastation done to my computer after every Windows update that I finally gave up and bought a Mac. That's what we ALL should do. Stop using MS products until they start listening to our feedback. The answers from MS given in these forums are almost always ridiculous and pointless. 

      If only someone could come up with a Windows emulator without all the B.S.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments