Windows, it's your job to develop the updates for the system. Don't give us the job of suggesting through your "feedback hub" the things for you to consider in your next update. All we're asking is this: don't frustrate everybody by changing our settings and preferences! Improve the operating system, but keep our personalized settings intact.
Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.
At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.
Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2018-05-15T04:14:32+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-05-15T15:59:39+00:00 I don't think they're listening, or we are talking to a robot that has limited comprehension.
-
Anonymous
2018-05-16T04:52:23+00:00 Apparently we are in the minority? This update method is intrusive and problematic as others have explained. Yet it continues... Personal computers are no longer personal when some one else controls it, monitors my actions with it (even after I tell it not to) and who knows what else. I have watched WIndows become increasingly intrusive in its scope of control and how it monitors habits. Apathy follows. Windows XP is not updated anymore I think and was better/ simpler anyway at least from a UI perspective. I'll take Media Player over Groove and file explorer is now a klunky mess for example. Things are going backwards but I understand you gotta have bloatware and engineered complexity to make money.
-
Anonymous
2018-05-20T13:25:40+00:00 That's all very well if your update hadn't changed my restore point settings and somehow removed all my restore points. now I have unfix-able WiFi internet issues and no way to go back to the system that I set up.
Forgive me for asking but did I spend money buying a product for myself or did I give you my cash and you feel you can do anything you wish to my possessions.
Utterly unacceptable behavior on your part. Time is money and you are wasting mine.
LINUX HERE I COME
-
Anonymous
2018-05-31T15:04:56+00:00 suggestion: Do not change any setting such as NETWORKING or DRIVE SHARING during an UPDATE! WHY would you ever do that? Your April 2018 update broke my networking between computers by doing this!