Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-14T17:18:28+00:00

    Well -- BS.

    It's only ~ five months later and there no longer is a Windows 10 "Feedback Hub". 

    So much for feedback.

    If I was giving feedback, it would be the same as this thread -- I just had a Windows 10 update pushed to my computer overnight and I find several settings changed. Who knows how many others have changed. Windows 10 has proved to be very good -- but this pushing changes with zero ability to prevent miscellaneous settings is ridiculous. 

    Example:

    All the notification area icons changed. Some I had hidden resurfaced. Others just disappeared. Notification icons on the taskbar changed.

    Stop. Just stop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-14T19:01:28+00:00

    My thoughts exactly!  This has got to STOP! Every week when my computer updates I cringe about what might happen. I have ran every kind of scan you can imagine, it is the Windows 10 updates! Started with Fall Creations Crap 1709 or something. This has been happening since November 2017.

    If you are able to get your taskbar settings reset make sure you lock it. I'm hoping that it will help. I have had to do it 4 times now. I have restarted the computer and got a couple back, next try to go into task manager and restart explorer.exe-run as administrator-log out as administrator- - log back in-go to File-click new task-restart explorer.exe.if that doesn't work go to task bar-then properties-then uncheck small task bar buttons if it is checked. I was able to go back to larger buttons once it was fixed and then I locked taskbar.

    *I had to re-install google and quickbooks

    *Repair Microsoft Office to fix IMAP

    At one point my start button wouldn't even work or run file option.

    I have also tried:

    Clicked windows key+R

    Type cleanmgr

    Enter

    I have also tried:

    clicked the window key+ x

    Type sfc/scannow

    This checks for corrupt files.

    I have alsotried:

    clicked windows key +x

    Type DISM.exe/online/clean-up-image/Restorehealth

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-14T19:17:07+00:00

    The Feedback Hub is still located where it always was. Under "F" in your complete apps list (not necessarily on your start menu)

    And if you click on it it still opens: 

    then you sign in and leave your feedback, 

    As for the computer settings being changed, None of mine were after Tuesday's Cumulative Update. Everything is the same as it always was so I can't help you there.

    But you CAN still use your Feedback Hub.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-14T19:33:02+00:00

    I have disabled the updates in registry,

    There's your problem. Stop editing the Registry and/or running registry cleaners and your system will perform better.

    As for the rest of your rant, you have every right to not use Windows 10. By all means format your systems and use something else.

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-10T12:57:24+00:00

    Hi all,

    Even though this post and several times trying to send suggestions throughout the hub feature the problem remains the same.

    EVERY time that windows updates itself all my sharing options goes rogue. One might think..."so what" just re set it and no harm is done.

    Well the problem is a bit more complex. We have several users using the same sharing options to allow them to use one shared printer with more PCs. Off course, it is a simple operation to solve for ONE user but a far more difficult task to perform to more than 800 hundred users.

    So microsoft, since we all now this can't be the result of incompence, can we expect that from now on these options we be left untouched? If it is usefull, the more annoying updates are the security ones (we know for sure that they "break" the settings we left set on PCs.

    You may know that some biz activities run with shared printers and to solve this issue would help all these activities around the globe.

    Hope this will be taken in consideration

    Kind regards

    Logan

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments