Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T04:59:04+00:00

    You have got to be kidding me!  I received a notice that asked if I wanted to select a later time--I hit the drop down box to select a future time and it immediately began the upgrade not giving me a chance to pick a later option.

    There is not enough information prior to determining to accept the upgrade to even make a reasoned choice.   After the upgrade completed users received a information routine to help inform users of the wonderful and grand changes we now have an option to use.  (Only 1 of the features was anything I am remotely interested in pursuing.)  

    What Microsoft developers need to understand is that many of us would like to activate modules that are germane to us and be given a chance in advance to make an informed decision what we would like to buy pass completely.

    Issues:   Where did the restore point feature disappeared to?  It was an extremely useful feature.  Would like it back.

                  Upgrade caused me to have to reinstall and reconfigure my Epson scan system.  Had to resort to husbands Vista system to get any work done.  

                  I get an initial blue screen on power up prior to with window sign in that says "User Name or Password are incorrect" but it continues to              the windows log screen anyway.

                 Turned on Skype to God and the World when I had previously very purposefully shut it down completely.

    Recommednation:  Introduce a Windows OS that allows users to pick certain modules and omit ones they have security concerns about or just do not want to include such as the "social" side including Skype.  I want a secure system that I can trust for financial work, business production and photo/video design but do not want "social" hosting of any sort.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-24T07:13:36+00:00

    Windows has a contingency feature that helps users recover lost files after updating the operating system. If you are signed in on a temporary profile, you need to sync your settings. Visit this link: Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 to know how to search user files through indexing and syncing of settings. Once there, expand the drop-down articles “See if you’re signed in with a temporary profile” and “Look for the files using Search”.

    Let us know if you need more assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T07:10:43+00:00

    I am having the same issue. The update erased the settings on my computer, and I would like them restored. And yes, I submitted "feedback."

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T07:49:27+00:00

    I am having the same issue. The update erased the settings on my computer, and I would like them restored. And yes, I submitted "feedbac."

    Hi yes this also happened to me last night, this is ridiculous. Done the update automatically & then wipes everything from documents to my browser bookmarks. 

    Simple question HOW DO I GET ALL MY STUFF BACK LOOKING EXACTLY HOW IT WAS ?

    I JUST HAD TO REVERT MY KEYBOARD BACK TO THE CORRECT SETTINGS & THAT WAS PAIN STAKING ENOUGH, SO WITHOUT HAVING TO HAVE A COMPUTER DEGREE OR BEING A ROCKET SCIENTIST CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO REVERT MY PC TO WHERE IT WAS BEFORE OR I AM SWITCHING TO A MAC BECAUSE YOU HAVE REALLY DROPPED THE BALL ON THIS UPDATE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T11:35:07+00:00

    Hi Darren,

    As discussed on the previous post on this thread, some of these changes were made to further improve Windows. If in any case you would like to revert back to the previous settings that you were using, we recommend that you perform system restore since you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers.

    Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

    To restore your PC to an earlier point in time:

    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.) 2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel. 3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery. 4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments