Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T01:38:02+00:00

    If the updates don’t suit your preferences, you can always postpone them. Microsoft releases cumulative updates in the future based on the discussion and information collected from the Feedback Hub. Visit this link: Defer upgrades in Windows 10 to know how to pause incoming updates.

    Like you did, you can wait once you already submitted a suggestion to our Feedback Hub. Deferring updates feature was already available to version 1607 systems.

    Let us know if you have other concerns.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T03:33:45+00:00

    There's nothing new about that. I first noticed that behavior in Windows 7. I also notice it in Microsoft Office, which gets updated the same way as Windows.

    Updates frequently replace files with newer versions of the same file. If a file being replaced held some of your settings, those settings are going to back to the defaults.

    It may be appealing to surmise that sinister Microsoft is forcing its will on unsuspecting users, but it's not nearly that dramatic. Which is not to say that Microsoft doesn't try to force its will on users. But this is not an example of that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T03:49:01+00:00

    @BulldogXX

    I don't suspect Microsoft of sinister motives, just incompetent programming plus a total lack of consideration for user needs.

    I've found that user settings stay intact through Android updates, but with Microsoft Windows anything can happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    90+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T04:02:21+00:00

    Android and Windows are two entirely different operating systems. That's not an accurate comparison.

    Do you really think that an organization employing thousands of the most talented programmers anywhere is incompetent? Your attitude is clouding your judgement.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T04:19:17+00:00

    Android and Windows are both operating systems with user interfaces that provide numerous options. Both undergo regular updates. I think the comparison is quite valid. If I have an attitude, it's been shaped by long experience with Microsoft products and their problems.

    I'm sure Microsoft has thousands of competent programmers. But as an organization they're  incompetent at reading user needs and managing their resources to meet those needs. Windows has major defects going all the way back to 3.1 in such areas as networking. Office used to be an excellent suite but they've completely ruined the user interface with the ribbon and the single-document interface in Word.

    In both Office and Windows, instead of fixing bugs, Microsoft creates feature bloat and instability.

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments