I am having the same issue. The update erased the settings on my computer, and I would like them restored. And yes, I submitted "feedback."
Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.
At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.
Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2017-12-08T07:10:43+00:00 -
Anonymous
2017-11-24T07:13:36+00:00 Windows has a contingency feature that helps users recover lost files after updating the operating system. If you are signed in on a temporary profile, you need to sync your settings. Visit this link: Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 to know how to search user files through indexing and syncing of settings. Once there, expand the drop-down articles “See if you’re signed in with a temporary profile” and “Look for the files using Search”.
Let us know if you need more assistance.
-
Anonymous
2017-11-22T04:59:04+00:00 You have got to be kidding me! I received a notice that asked if I wanted to select a later time--I hit the drop down box to select a future time and it immediately began the upgrade not giving me a chance to pick a later option.
There is not enough information prior to determining to accept the upgrade to even make a reasoned choice. After the upgrade completed users received a information routine to help inform users of the wonderful and grand changes we now have an option to use. (Only 1 of the features was anything I am remotely interested in pursuing.)
What Microsoft developers need to understand is that many of us would like to activate modules that are germane to us and be given a chance in advance to make an informed decision what we would like to buy pass completely.
Issues: Where did the restore point feature disappeared to? It was an extremely useful feature. Would like it back.
Upgrade caused me to have to reinstall and reconfigure my Epson scan system. Had to resort to husbands Vista system to get any work done.
I get an initial blue screen on power up prior to with window sign in that says "User Name or Password are incorrect" but it continues to the windows log screen anyway.
Turned on Skype to God and the World when I had previously very purposefully shut it down completely.
Recommednation: Introduce a Windows OS that allows users to pick certain modules and omit ones they have security concerns about or just do not want to include such as the "social" side including Skype. I want a secure system that I can trust for financial work, business production and photo/video design but do not want "social" hosting of any sort.
-
Anonymous
2017-11-22T04:19:17+00:00 Android and Windows are both operating systems with user interfaces that provide numerous options. Both undergo regular updates. I think the comparison is quite valid. If I have an attitude, it's been shaped by long experience with Microsoft products and their problems.
I'm sure Microsoft has thousands of competent programmers. But as an organization they're incompetent at reading user needs and managing their resources to meet those needs. Windows has major defects going all the way back to 3.1 in such areas as networking. Office used to be an excellent suite but they've completely ruined the user interface with the ribbon and the single-document interface in Word.
In both Office and Windows, instead of fixing bugs, Microsoft creates feature bloat and instability.
-
Anonymous
2017-11-22T04:02:21+00:00 Android and Windows are two entirely different operating systems. That's not an accurate comparison.
Do you really think that an organization employing thousands of the most talented programmers anywhere is incompetent? Your attitude is clouding your judgement.