Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-25T17:53:33+00:00

    Hi Sandra,

    You can temporarily prevent Windows Update from installing. Refer to this article on how to temporarily prevent update from installing. You can also submit a feedback through our Feedback Hub to help our development team investigate and review your concern.

    Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T20:50:48+00:00

    Having the same problems! Wiped out my task bar, hidden icons task bar, sound button , google-had to re-install, Quickbooks- had to re-install, and my start button with the first features update. Worked on it for a complete week. Got it fixed then the fall creations comes along and I cannot send e-mails from quickbooks to outlook. Had to re-pair to fix imap problems. 2x.... I would prefer to pass on future updates unless it is necessary for security.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T20:35:58+00:00

    I lost my desktop settings. I tried to go to cortana to find Feedback Hub and it said no results found for 'feedback hub'. Really?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T06:44:19+00:00

    Hi,

    Considering the limitations raised, in terms of troubleshooting is concern, by majority of the participants who's having the same issue, we suggest that you speak with our Answer Desk team for further assistance. We recommend the Answer Desk channel as you can perform the diagnostics and troubleshooting process, with our specialized Windows technical support team, real time. You can contact our Answer Desk team here.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T05:28:01+00:00

    @Rey Bel1: "we recommend that you perform system restore"

    All my restore points date from AFTER this damned update. Could you find someone competent to answer this question. The last update wiped my personalization settings and destroyed my restore points.

    "...some of these changes were made to further improve Windows"

    Really? If you're serious about improving Windows, why not start by fixing some of the long-standing bugs and defects, like the Red X problem on network shared drives, and instability in taskbar settings. The last update was just frippery and feature bloat targeted toward tablet users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments