Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-16T04:52:23+00:00

    Apparently we are in the minority? This update method is intrusive and problematic as others have explained. Yet it continues... Personal computers are no longer personal when some one else controls it, monitors my actions with it (even after I tell it not to) and who knows what else.  I have watched WIndows become increasingly intrusive in its scope of control and how it monitors habits. Apathy follows. Windows XP is not updated anymore I think and was better/ simpler anyway at least from a UI perspective. I'll take Media Player over Groove and file explorer is now a klunky mess for example. Things are going backwards but I understand you gotta have bloatware and engineered complexity to make money.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T15:59:39+00:00

    I don't think they're listening, or we are talking to a robot that has limited comprehension.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T04:14:32+00:00

    Windows, it's your job to develop the updates for the system. Don't give us the job of suggesting through your "feedback hub" the things for you to consider in your next update. All we're asking is this: don't frustrate everybody by changing our settings and preferences! Improve the operating system, but keep our personalized settings intact.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-10T12:57:24+00:00

    Hi all,

    Even though this post and several times trying to send suggestions throughout the hub feature the problem remains the same.

    EVERY time that windows updates itself all my sharing options goes rogue. One might think..."so what" just re set it and no harm is done.

    Well the problem is a bit more complex. We have several users using the same sharing options to allow them to use one shared printer with more PCs. Off course, it is a simple operation to solve for ONE user but a far more difficult task to perform to more than 800 hundred users.

    So microsoft, since we all now this can't be the result of incompence, can we expect that from now on these options we be left untouched? If it is usefull, the more annoying updates are the security ones (we know for sure that they "break" the settings we left set on PCs.

    You may know that some biz activities run with shared printers and to solve this issue would help all these activities around the globe.

    Hope this will be taken in consideration

    Kind regards

    Logan

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-14T19:33:02+00:00

    I have disabled the updates in registry,

    There's your problem. Stop editing the Registry and/or running registry cleaners and your system will perform better.

    As for the rest of your rant, you have every right to not use Windows 10. By all means format your systems and use something else.

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments