Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-20T19:57:32+00:00

    Ha ha.

    You recommend something that is accessed through Cortana Search, which is a feature that I wish we'd be allowed to uninstall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-13T00:51:24+00:00

    This getting silly.  Every single update causes havoc and hours of work to redress issues caused making the PC unusable until fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-01T12:22:26+00:00

    I have disabled the updates in registry,

    There's your problem. Stop editing the Registry and/or running registry cleaners and your system will perform better.

    As for the rest of your rant, you have every right to not use Windows 10. By all means format your systems and use something else.

    Good luck!

    Admittedly messing with the registry is dangerous but the issue here is Updates and their "messing with" the product that we bought.

    You may feel insulting people who are tired of MS arbitrarily screwing with our systems is perfectly OK but remember We have the right to use the product we bought and not have that product constantly manipulated. I run Linux also and they can manage to build a secure system that doesn't constantly update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-31T15:04:56+00:00

    suggestion:  Do not change any setting such as NETWORKING or DRIVE SHARING during an UPDATE!  WHY would you ever do that?  Your April 2018 update broke my networking between computers by doing this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-20T13:25:40+00:00

    That's all very well if your update hadn't changed my restore point settings and somehow removed all my restore points. now I have unfix-able WiFi internet issues and no way to go back to the system that I set up. 

    Forgive me for asking but did I spend money buying a product for myself or did I give you my cash and you feel you can do anything you wish to my possessions.

    Utterly unacceptable behavior on your part. Time is money and you are wasting mine.

    LINUX HERE I COME

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments