Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-04T17:26:52+00:00

    I got so disgusted with the devastation done to my computer after every Windows update that I finally gave up and bought a Mac. That's what we ALL should do. Stop using MS products until they start listening to our feedback. The answers from MS given in these forums are almost always ridiculous and pointless. 

      If only someone could come up with a Windows emulator without all the B.S.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T20:35:58+00:00

    I lost my desktop settings. I tried to go to cortana to find Feedback Hub and it said no results found for 'feedback hub'. Really?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T20:50:48+00:00

    Having the same problems! Wiped out my task bar, hidden icons task bar, sound button , google-had to re-install, Quickbooks- had to re-install, and my start button with the first features update. Worked on it for a complete week. Got it fixed then the fall creations comes along and I cannot send e-mails from quickbooks to outlook. Had to re-pair to fix imap problems. 2x.... I would prefer to pass on future updates unless it is necessary for security.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T11:35:07+00:00

    Hi Darren,

    As discussed on the previous post on this thread, some of these changes were made to further improve Windows. If in any case you would like to revert back to the previous settings that you were using, we recommend that you perform system restore since you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers.

    Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

    To restore your PC to an earlier point in time:

    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.) 2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel. 3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery. 4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T03:33:45+00:00

    There's nothing new about that. I first noticed that behavior in Windows 7. I also notice it in Microsoft Office, which gets updated the same way as Windows.

    Updates frequently replace files with newer versions of the same file. If a file being replaced held some of your settings, those settings are going to back to the defaults.

    It may be appealing to surmise that sinister Microsoft is forcing its will on unsuspecting users, but it's not nearly that dramatic. Which is not to say that Microsoft doesn't try to force its will on users. But this is not an example of that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments