Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-17T20:56:46+00:00

    Totally agree. On top of that, they somehow changed how I archive documents and even how I can go back to an earlier version. It's now going to take me several hours to (a) get my settings back to the way I want them, not how some techie at Microsoft thinks I want them, and (b) to figure out why I should possibly click "don't save" with newly updated/messed up Word in order to be able to go back one version. Worse, the instructions at Microsoft don't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-13T00:51:24+00:00

    This getting silly.  Every single update causes havoc and hours of work to redress issues caused making the PC unusable until fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-20T19:57:32+00:00

    Ha ha.

    You recommend something that is accessed through Cortana Search, which is a feature that I wish we'd be allowed to uninstall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-31T15:04:56+00:00

    suggestion:  Do not change any setting such as NETWORKING or DRIVE SHARING during an UPDATE!  WHY would you ever do that?  Your April 2018 update broke my networking between computers by doing this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-20T13:25:40+00:00

    That's all very well if your update hadn't changed my restore point settings and somehow removed all my restore points. now I have unfix-able WiFi internet issues and no way to go back to the system that I set up. 

    Forgive me for asking but did I spend money buying a product for myself or did I give you my cash and you feel you can do anything you wish to my possessions.

    Utterly unacceptable behavior on your part. Time is money and you are wasting mine.

    LINUX HERE I COME

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments