Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-18T04:57:21+00:00

    What you just said is all a load of crock! I have disabled the updates in registry, option menu and services but windows 10 keeps enabling them

     Windows 10 by microsoft keeps infringing on my paid software on my paid computer and on my paid windows 10 operating  os and infringes on  my freedom  choice and tramples on our liberty of expression. Micrsoft should be charged for crimes against humanity and for taking away our choice for which system users can use. 

    Its against every thing the declararion  independance states about our freedom and liberty acts. You microsoft have forced us to use a system we the general public dislike.

    Microsoft should pay us to use their damn operating system.

    I wonder if UNIX is any better?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T13:01:14+00:00

    Yes, and thet wpuld be great if it had not also erased my previous restore points. I make about one a week, but after the update, everything including general settings, system settings, passwords, notes, internet settings, program settings, and more, were lost. So, with only filea and programs left, how can I restore my settings?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-01T12:22:26+00:00

    I have disabled the updates in registry,

    There's your problem. Stop editing the Registry and/or running registry cleaners and your system will perform better.

    As for the rest of your rant, you have every right to not use Windows 10. By all means format your systems and use something else.

    Good luck!

    Admittedly messing with the registry is dangerous but the issue here is Updates and their "messing with" the product that we bought.

    You may feel insulting people who are tired of MS arbitrarily screwing with our systems is perfectly OK but remember We have the right to use the product we bought and not have that product constantly manipulated. I run Linux also and they can manage to build a secure system that doesn't constantly update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-16T04:52:23+00:00

    Apparently we are in the minority? This update method is intrusive and problematic as others have explained. Yet it continues... Personal computers are no longer personal when some one else controls it, monitors my actions with it (even after I tell it not to) and who knows what else.  I have watched WIndows become increasingly intrusive in its scope of control and how it monitors habits. Apathy follows. Windows XP is not updated anymore I think and was better/ simpler anyway at least from a UI perspective. I'll take Media Player over Groove and file explorer is now a klunky mess for example. Things are going backwards but I understand you gotta have bloatware and engineered complexity to make money.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T15:59:39+00:00

    I don't think they're listening, or we are talking to a robot that has limited comprehension.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments