Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T02:05:30+00:00

    Dear Johann Eva:

    Would it not be lovely ... go to Cortana, hum I can't :-(!

    Since the Fall Creator's update, I have lost the use of Cortana (which I don't use generally), the keyboard's Windows key (on its own) does not bring up the start menu nor can I bring it up with my mouse! I also can't sort out the settings on my keyboard or mouse (both Logitech). I obviously can't shut down or restart from the Start menu (see above) I also can't pin programs on the Taskbar. Just to add to the pleasure, I can't start Edge either.

    Oh ... it appears I have a blank Recovery area. So forget 'rollback'. Do I 'really' want to go back to total system reinstall? You have three guesses ...

    Back to what I'm answering to: you wanted some feedback! Will this do?

    The PC is working in a fashion.

    God grant me the patience and forbearance to not do 'anything' stupid that will make it unworkable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T07:10:43+00:00

    I am having the same issue. The update erased the settings on my computer, and I would like them restored. And yes, I submitted "feedback."

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-04T14:51:05+00:00

    I got so disgusted with the devastation done to my computer after every Windows update that I finally gave up and bought a Mac. That's what we ALL should do. Stop using MS products until they start listening to our feedback. The answers from MS given in these forums are almost always ridiculous and pointless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T04:14:32+00:00

    Windows, it's your job to develop the updates for the system. Don't give us the job of suggesting through your "feedback hub" the things for you to consider in your next update. All we're asking is this: don't frustrate everybody by changing our settings and preferences! Improve the operating system, but keep our personalized settings intact.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-14T19:01:28+00:00

    My thoughts exactly!  This has got to STOP! Every week when my computer updates I cringe about what might happen. I have ran every kind of scan you can imagine, it is the Windows 10 updates! Started with Fall Creations Crap 1709 or something. This has been happening since November 2017.

    If you are able to get your taskbar settings reset make sure you lock it. I'm hoping that it will help. I have had to do it 4 times now. I have restarted the computer and got a couple back, next try to go into task manager and restart explorer.exe-run as administrator-log out as administrator- - log back in-go to File-click new task-restart explorer.exe.if that doesn't work go to task bar-then properties-then uncheck small task bar buttons if it is checked. I was able to go back to larger buttons once it was fixed and then I locked taskbar.

    *I had to re-install google and quickbooks

    *Repair Microsoft Office to fix IMAP

    At one point my start button wouldn't even work or run file option.

    I have also tried:

    Clicked windows key+R

    Type cleanmgr

    Enter

    I have also tried:

    clicked the window key+ x

    Type sfc/scannow

    This checks for corrupt files.

    I have alsotried:

    clicked windows key +x

    Type DISM.exe/online/clean-up-image/Restorehealth

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments